cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will my credit score be affected by a short-refinance?

tag
radar27

How will my credit score be affected by a short-refinance?

I was just approved by my lender to do a short-refi into a fha loan on my primary residence. The loan is due to close by 4/14.

I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing until I was sent a rider to sign today that stated that the paid off loan would be tagged "settled for less than the amount owed". The tag wouldn't be that big of a deal except for the fact that I'm having a new house built that should be finished in August.

My current scores are 650 and 670. Not sure of TU.

My concern is that the paid off loan with that tag will ding my credit enough that I will not be able to qualify for my new loan. I've asked the lender to change the rider to read "paid as agreed" or "loan paid in full" but they will not do it. I've also read that I may not be able to do a FNM or FHA laon for 2-3 years after a short-refi.

I've been preapproved for my new VA loan already and income and assets aren't an issue.

Does anyone have an idea of the hit I'll take on my credit scores?

Has anyone done a short-refi with a purchase soon after?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
radar27

Re: How will my credit score be affected by a short-refinance?

bump

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends!

I just got a 12 month loan from my CU to build some relationship with them (for future) and my Score dropped 15 points (from 663 - 648)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi radar 27. I am on the exact same position as you were in. Did your credit score go down? If so, how much? Did the lower amount owed with the the mortgage offset a credit score hitfrom the write off? We're you still able to get your new mortgage and did the interest rate go up? Than you!!
Message 4 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi radar 27. I am on the exact same position as you were in. Did your credit score go down? If so, how much? Did the lower amount owed with the the mortgage offset a credit score hitfrom the write off? We're you still able to get your new mortgage and did the interest rate go up? Than you!!

Hello and welcome.

This thread is pretty old. radar27 hasn't logged on since 5/19/2009.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.