Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Score Drop, Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huge Score Drop, Why?

Paid the balance of my card and my score dropped 53pts! I want to kill someone.... Every article I have read, recommends paying in full each month the balance. So next month if I pay it in full againg, what? another huge drop? I know about the utilization ratio, but it should not be that big of a drop simply by paying the balance, then nobody would be paying the balance on their card, like the so call experts recommends.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9DA91C8C3C1932A7!14913&authkey=!AHdNkcli_u7yWDs&v=3&ithint=pho...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Re: Huge Score Drop, Why?

This happened to me just recently. I mistakenly paid off my cap1 card to $0.00 before the statement cut date. When the statement cut, it showed a zero balance. The problem is my other 4 cards also had reported a zero balance on statement cut date as I had paid them all down. All cards reporting zero is never good, I learned. I am assuming this is what happened to you. You have to let one card report a balance. Once it is reported then you can pay it off. All other cards you own can be paid to zero before statement cut.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew about how credit score is put together(pay history % roatio, etc) and always read that is good to pay the cards in full. So getting a huge drop by paying all the card was a surprise, and like you I learned. 

I've been doing a little searching to understand the whole reporting balance to the CB. So far this is what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Best approach to boost CS is to:

1. Pay all cards in full except one

2. Play with 1-10% balance on that one card with balance (see what % gives a better boost)

3. Pay 2 times a month. One, before billing cycle ends so a low utilization ratio is reported (1-10%) and again before due date to avoid paying interest.

For example, in my case, my open date is the 8/24/15 and close date is 9/15/15 so if I'm using 45% of line credit, but I don't want my credit score getting hit by using more than 30% of my CL I should pay $X.XX BEFORE (3-5 days?) the CLOSING DATE and drop the utilization rate to <10%. This will result in a <10% utilization rate being reported to the CB instead of 45%. Then I should pay the remaining balance in full so I don't have to pay any interest. Repeat strategy. 

Is this correct? I need to recover from this drop. Any other recommendations?

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there OP, I have removed your cross posted thread on this topic from the General Credit Forum. Our TOS doesnt allow for cross posting and it really isnt a good thing to do as it can lead to confusion of the members, please refrain from doing so in the future.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.