Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge discrepancy between Equifax and FICO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huge discrepancy between Equifax and FICO

I recently applied for a CLI on my Capital One card and to my surprise was denied. My credit is definitely what you would call rebuilding but I have always been on time with my payments with Capital One and my balance is low. I received a letter and it said my credit score reported from Equifax was a staggering 439. I checked my FICO via Chase Slate and Discover and I was at 578 and 566 respectively. Now those are low scores in their own right but what would cause such a huge gap in score? I checked my credit report on creditkarma and their fako Equifax score was around 540 and the credit report itself matched up with my Transunion report. Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Huge discrepancy between Equifax and FICO

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently applied for a CLI on my Capital One card and to my surprise was denied. My credit is definitely what you would call rebuilding but I have always been on time with my payments with Capital One and my balance is low. I received a letter and it said my credit score reported from Equifax was a staggering 439. I checked my FICO via Chase Slate and Discover and I was at 578 and 566 respectively. Now those are low scores in their own right but what would cause such a huge gap in score? I checked my credit report on creditkarma and their fako Equifax score was around 540 and the credit report itself matched up with my Transunion report. Any thoughts?

They use some FICO 4 model. Mine is usually 50 or more points below my FICO 8.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In addition to using a different FICO model, they often use a report that's 2 or 3 months old.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

SJ is right. They use a different model and can be a month or so behind. I would disregard the CK scores just for the fact that they aren't true Fico's.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I generally ignore those scores unless I want a rough guesstimate as to where my FICO 8 is. The Slate and Discover ones are legit scores though and I go off of those.

What's discouraging is apparently mortgage lenders go off of FICO 4 from what I read. I've been working my ass off to get at least a 580 FICO to qualify for an FHA loan but if they don't go by FICO 8 then the uphill battle may continue!

Good to know that's where the huge difference is coming from though. Thanks for clearing it up!

Message 5 of 6
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

My FICO scores and my CK scores can differ by 30+ points easily, and my FICO 04 can be ~70 points below my FICO 8 or 9, apparently. Horrifying difference, that! So yeah, it really matters which score they pull. Oh, and when they pull it, obviously - having lots of cards report balances looks to kill my FICO 04.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.