Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge drop in score for reasons unknown

tag
Kymva
New Visitor

Huge drop in score for reasons unknown

I received an alert the other day, checked my score and saw what looks to be a 40 pt drop for two new incidents on my credit reports. Both of these are in dispute. One is with Victorias Secret who are in the past two months have been reporting I owe $20. I disputed this as best I could, but when they tacked on a finance charge of $1, I was alerted and saw the 40 point drop in my score. The other incident is something I paid to the original creditor, again I disputed. So now my score drops 40 points and I have no way to make it go back up? I am less than 3k in debt, the further I pay off my debt...my score goes down.

At one point while disputing it on my reports, Commenity Bank, Victorias Secret, called and I spoke with the person. She wasn't demanding the $20 that they claim I owe, she was demanding $50.

What in the world? A 40 point drop and for a $1?
-kym
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Huge drop in score for reasons unknown

Is this a FICO you are looking at? If so, FICO will ignore the balance and the CL during a dispute. If the utilization on these cards helped your overall utilization, then you'd see a drop when disputed. Once the dispute comment disappears, then your score will rebound.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.