cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hypothetical Question: Can your credit score go to 0 if you apply for 1 credit card per day?

tag
techcrium
Established Member

Hypothetical Question: Can your credit score go to 0 if you apply for 1 credit card per day?

Say you decide you apply for a credit card everyday, how low can your score go down to?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hypothetical Question: Can your credit score go to 0 if you apply for 1 credit card per day?

I believe 300 is the lowest FICO goes.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hypothetical Question: Can your credit score go to 0 if you apply for 1 credit card per day?

FICO scores range from 300-850 and therefore could never be 0.  And applying for a different card every day would definitely not get you that low.  You would have to have a pretty bad file to get all the way to 300.  There are several people here who apply for multiple cards a day and they maintain scores in the 600s.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my anecdotal experience inquiries tend to hurt less the more you pile up. If the first one costs you 8 pts, the second maybe 6, then 4, 2, 1, 1. My last eq inq cost me 0. It was the day after a balance update score change and nothing else realistically could have changed. Got the my fico alert of an inquiry, but score changd was 756-756. 

Message 4 of 8
EW800
Valued Contributor

I agree with the comment that you would have to do much more than apply for a card a day to get down to 300.  I believe we have had people report on this forum that they have a BK, repo, tons of lates and so on, and still in the low 400's.  I could be wrong, but I think a person will really have to work at it to get into the 300's.  

Any volunteers?  Smiley Happy

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Much depends on one's starting point.  Someone with a score in the 800s could be impacted differently than someone with a score in the upper 600s. 

It also depends on whether your question is relative to the simple act of multiple applications, with possibly no expectation of approval, or, if you mean applications AND approvals. Theoretically, one could apply for every card in existance, but with no expectations of approvals. Anecdotally, there have been reports here and elsewhere of folks having 80-120 inquiries per credit bureau and still had scores that didn't tank out to the bottom.  A strong credit file can survive these numbers of inquries usually better than a weaker credit file.  

Unless there is a scoring model that most of us are not familiar with, no one's score would ever go to zero, since that is not the lowest limit for any of the scoring models, whether FICO or something else.  They usually start in the 300s and go up from there.  It's the upper limit that seems to have more deviation, with 850-900 the common upper limits,

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been a couple posts of people in the high to mid 300s. But like 40 late pays, forclosure, repo, bk, double digit collections. I was in the low 500s with 7 collections and 0 positive tradelines a year ago. I figured i was about as bad as it could go. Turns out someone has to give you credit for it to get really bad 

Message 7 of 8
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I made it to 350 once! But boy, you really have to work on it to get there!Smiley LOL

Here's my story that I have posted a few times on this website:

I was only divorced for about a month. My daughter needed a clarinet for school and they informed us that we could rent them at a local music store. I walked in to rent the clarinet and the salesperson said that they needed to do a credit check before renting it. No problem I thought. A few minutes later the owner of the store comes out and tells me he can't rent it to me because my credit score was 350! We had a brief conversation where I informed him that I had just gotten divorced and would have to check into why it was so low. He said he came out personally to see what a person with a 350 score looked like and was surprised to see that it was a middle aged guy with a white button down and khakis! The. Most. Humiliating. Experience. Of. My. Life.

This happened back in 1997 and FICO scores and credit reports were kind of mysterious to most consumers. (Pre-Internet) I did know that my score was over 800 less than a year ago at the time when my wife and I decided on a friendly divorce. We sold our big house in the burbs and bought a smaller house for my wife and daughter and a condo that was located close by for me.

To make a long and ugly story short:

My wife let the mortgage on her house go into foreclosure. (My name was also on it!)

Several months before our divorce she applied for 7 credit cards using my name (And great scores!) and hid them from me. She maxxed out every single one of them and never made a payment!

Needless to say, it was a nightmare! The lenders started calling me everyday wanting payment in full. Threatening fraud charges etc. It was ugly.

I was a small business owner at the time a had to use pretty much every last penny I had to get out from under these debts.

I vowed to never be put in this situation again and cancelled all my credit cards and paid cash for everything from there on out. It wasn't until 2012 when I discovered MyFICO and decided that I needed to start using credit again. MyFICO couldn't generate a score back in 2012 when I started rebuilding because there wasn't anything on my reports. I've been rebuilding for about 3 years now.

Look at the bright side...

I found a new wife a few years after that and we have 2 great kids. We moved to a warm climate state and are living life to its fullest!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.