cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am so confused...which score should I look at ???

tag
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: I am so confused...which score should I look at ???

As I read the info above it doesn't seem that you are getting the whole picture.

First, lets ignore anything that isn't a FICO score since virtually all mortgage companies pull your FICO scores. Your credit monitoring from USAA may be worthwhile for monitoring but the scores are fairly useless.

Then, lets make it clear that there are three Credit Bureaus: EQ. EX, and TU. So you have THREE FICO scores. I don't see any mention of any scores above from EQ or EX, only from TU.

When the mortage company told you that they would use your "middle" score, they meant the one in the middle of your 3 FICO scores.

If there are two people on the loan, they will use the lower score of the two people.

The one additional piece of info that may help is that this site uses the TU98 score and most mortgage companies seem to be using the newer TU2004.

You should at least make sure that you get some credit reports from all three Credit Reporting Agencies to make sure they are simliar, or at least that there isn't an error on one of them. If you just want to view the reports you can get one a year from each CRA at annualcreditreport.com. If you want your EQ FICO, you can get that here.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am basically in the same boat. I just checked my scores on freescore.com and my equifax was 585, when I came on here it said my equifax is 635. Would it be the same for my other scores? This is all very confusing. Equifax is my lowest and I want an accurate picture of where I am. Where is the best place to get all three scores.

Message 12 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am basically in the same boat. I just checked my scores on freescore.com and my equifax was 585, when I came on here it said my equifax is 635. Would it be the same for my other scores? This is all very confusing. Equifax is my lowest and I want an accurate picture of where I am. Where is the best place to get all three scores.

The scores from freescore.com are not FICO scores. They are FAKOs. Ignore any scores from any service that offers all 3 scores together (other than from a lender). Other than myFICO.com, you can also get your EQ FICO from Equifax.com or from your lender. Other than myFICO.com, you can also get your TU FICO from transunioncs.com (note the -cs) and from your lender. Finally, as of last year, Experian no longer allows consumers to pull their own EX FICO score, but you can get it from your lender or on your checking statement if you happen to have a checking account with a CU in PA called PSECU. Any other score from any other source are not FICO scores, but a knock-off we call FAKOs.

Message 13 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello and welcome to myFICO.

There is no one place to get all three of your FICO scores. Many, many sites (like freescore.com) will sell you a "credit score" but it's not a FICO score which is what most lenders use.

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com. At www.equifax.com EQ will still sell you an EQ FICO score but they make it very hard to find.

So if you bought your Equifax score here then it is accurate.

ETA: Out done by llecs!!!  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you you both for the info, it really helped.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.