cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I disputed and my credit score dropped!??! WHAT?????????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disputed and my credit score dropped!??! WHAT?????????

So I have been working on rebuilding my credit for about 6 months now and have raised my score almost 80 points since the beginning of this.

Yesterday, I sent an online dispute for a collections account that I don't own and is four years old.  Today I got a score alert and my score dropped 19 points?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  When I check the dispute status it shows in process.  So does anybody understand this???  Honestly has me a little sick to my stomach. 

The score alert states that a dispute has been initiated but I do not understand how this could effect my score....I mean the account is still there and the amount is the same and the dispute is in progress.

We are about to buy a house and 19 points can really touch my interest rate!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I disputed and my credit score dropped!??! WHAT?????????

Welcome to the forums!

What kind of collection is it? An OC? A CA? You mentioned "score alert". Is the alert from ScoreWatch?

I'd suggest not disputing. Many lenders will turn down a loan if a dispute is showing.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome.

It was a collection from Verizon Wireless.  I left the country to work for a year.  Cancelled my account and pay the early term fee.  A year later, came back to the states and got another account with verizon (which i still have).  So I couldn't figure out what this charge was.  On suggestion of a friend he said to dispute it.  In retrospect, if I'd know that it would drop my score, I would have just paid it and been done.  It is for 1200 dollars so it isn't so much the money I was just not wanting to pay for something I felt I did not owe.

And the score alert was from score watch from myfico.

Message 3 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd suggest pulling your EQ report from somewhere and look at it again. I don't think VZW's update would have dropped your score. Look for any other changes like CC utilization, account changes, etc. Look for any other changes to your CR. Also, in some circumstances, disputing an OC can drop your FICO, such as disputing a CC or disputing a TL that resulted in added lates or baddies.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are no other changes.

Am I better off just calling verizon and paying the bill??

Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to pay it and get it off, then send a PFD. It might take many of them. I sent, no joke, over 100 of them before they finally said "Yes" and removed the account. Try also to send it via planetfeedback.com.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to sound dumb but what do you mean send a PDF??  I just thought I would call them and pay the balance

Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to sound dumb but what do you mean send a PDF??  I just thought I would call them and pay the balance

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

and What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

PFD example letters

Paying it won't help your score. Paying it also won't get it deleted. I'd try a PFD.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is correct that if you dispute an item and there is a status of 'in dispute by consumer or borrower' showing on the account, most lenders will not be able to loan to you even if you have excellent scores.

As far as that status actually affecting your score, I don't believe so. Your score should not have dropped due to a dispute in progress.

Also, I would not pay the Verizon account. Sadly it may drop your scores since the account is some years old, the scoring calculator is taking an older date into consideration when scoring you at this point. If you pay it it could turn it into a recent collection, depending on how Verizon reports the paid collection. It will look like a last activity date of this month. It could hurt you for a bit and then raise your scores after a few months.

If you are going in for a loan within a month, I would suggest not touching the Verizon account and writing into the 3 bureaus stating you no longer dispute the collection and make sure they do not have that 'in dispute' status on the account. But if you have some time i would dispute the account if it's inaccurate.

Suggestion: If you're trying to get into the loan for the first time home buyers tax credit, I would do it if you qualify. Then build your score up and refinance in a year to get a better rate on your mortgage.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.