cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I dont get it... 1% credit utilization and FICO says I am being penalized.. ???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I dont get it... 1% credit utilization and FICO says I am being penalized.. ???

To the OP, the information you're getting is, I guess, the best analysis the computer can come up with for why your score isn't even higher than it is. With a 786, there isn't much taking you down, and your utilization is about it, I guess. You may be losing perspective a bit. Getting a super high score doesn't do anything for you, certainly getting a score over 786 doesn't do anything that a 786 won't do. What's important, I think, is to keep your score at or over 720, and that's going to be easy for you. You should start using that score to benefit you. Get some more cards, get some airline and hotel cards so you get bonus miles and points. The Amex Starwood card gets you 10000 points, and Starwood has a point pricing structure that's different from other hotels, and I think you can stay in like the Renaissance for 7000. Get an American Airlines Citibank Card and get 15000 points or 20000 points or whatever it is, with fee waived for the first year. Get cards with 0% purchases and BT's. I got 6 new cards in the last year, and my wife got 4. For the last year, we have used 0% purchase cards for our purchasing, charging our house insurance, phone bill, satellite bill, groceries, gasoline, restaurants, shopping, everything, making minimum payments and letting the cash that would have otherwise gone to pay off the whole balance every month pile up in the bank at 5% interest. I've done BT's, and have a substantial sum in BT's, sitting in the bank at 5% interest. We already had fairly substantial debt on perpetual 0% Discover BT's. We've gotten a lot of cashback and points, too. With all that activity and all that debt, our scores have recently been ranging around 720-750. I guess before the latest rush of activity, they were higher, maybe about what yours is. But you should consider that 786 a cushion, giving you room to work and still stay over 720. Pick out good offers, get cards, and work them. Take that money out of the credit card company's pockets, where it isn't helping anybody, and put it into yours.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I dont get it... 1% credit utilization and FICO says I am being penalized.. ???

I have seen other similar reports...seems like once your score goes into the high 700s, the score analyzer gets a little loopy.

As an IT guy, I suspect the score analyzer is primarily written to analyze low to moderate credit scores, as users with FICOs between 300 and 750 or so are the people most likely to be actively seeking to increase their FICOs. So whatever algorithm the analyzer uses probably begins to lose reliability past 750 or so. This is something MyFICO should look into. Perhaps they need to come up with a different formula to analyze high credit scores.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nevrenuf, Perhaps a more constructive way to look at the negative reason codes is this: "You don't have an 850 because...." Apparently, with your portfolio, having 0% would give you a higher score (at least that's the implication.)
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure it was on this site or even in one of the forums that I read that after a certain score thas been achieved, those with high scores tend to get penalized for too low utilization. This I believe is urting you cause you aren't using it enough. The cards say 0 are they being used and paid down every month or re you stuffing them in a sock drawer and you threw away the key?
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe if no credit limit is shown on your Amex you are seen as using 100% of line limit I think. You might have better luck using a card showing a credit limit and leaving the Amex at $0. Maxing out a card hurts your score... Even though you are not, the system might see it as high limit. Also the Car loan "debt" does decrease your score just because it is debt. Same for the Mortgage. More debt. They are calculated differently, but still debt is debt. And to confuse you, without debt you wouldn't have credit history. lol. As your global debts are lower your score should go up.
Message 15 of 16
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:
Maybe if no credit limit is shown on your Amex you are seen as using 100% of line limit I think. You might have better luck using a card showing a credit limit and leaving the Amex at $0. Maxing out a card hurts your score... Even though you are not, the system might see it as high limit. Also the Car loan "debt" does decrease your score just because it is debt. Same for the Mortgage. More debt. They are calculated differently, but still debt is debt. And to confuse you, without debt you wouldn't have credit history. lol. As your global debts are lower your score should go up.

Remember that even though auto and mortage is debt, having a good mix of credit is also vital.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.