Did you mean: 

I give UP!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I give UP!!!!

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I decrease my debt % from 7% to 0% my score goes down 13pts I raise my % from 0% to 7% and my score goes down 3pts. If FICO has no memory I should have gained the points I lost last month. I just give up.

Hold the phone. OP, your scores went from mid-500s in November to over 700 in two months? And now you are concerned about a drop of 13points?

You need to reset your expectations, my friend. FICO does change, it does recalculate. You got a HUGE run up in score very recently. Now there is a bit more adjustment going on as things get refined.

Chill.

The ONLY reason I went from mid 500's to over 700 in 2 months is becouse of my HARD work. I had 13 colections accounts paid them ALL off with PFD's. My dissiapointment is that on this fourm people always state "FICO has no memory when it comes to uitilization" so if you you have 7% one month 5% next and your score goes down you could bring your uitilization back up to 7% to get the points back that you lost. 

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I decrease my debt % from 7% to 0% my score goes down 13pts I raise my % from 0% to 7% and my score goes down 3pts. If FICO has no memory I should have gained the points I lost last month. I just give up.

Hold the phone. OP, your scores went from mid-500s in November to over 700 in two months? And now you are concerned about a drop of 13points?

You need to reset your expectations, my friend. FICO does change, it does recalculate. You got a HUGE run up in score very recently. Now there is a bit more adjustment going on as things get refined.

Chill.

The ONLY reason I went from mid 500's to over 700 in 2 months is becouse of my HARD work. I had 13 colections accounts paid them ALL off with PFD's. My dissiapointment is that on this fourm people always state "FICO has no memory when it comes to uitilization" so if you you have 7% one month 5% next and your score goes down you could bring your uitilization back up to 7% to get the points back that you lost. 

There are multiple components of utilization. Individual util on a card and overall util. Both play some role, and that role may be different depending on the bucket you are in. 1%-9% is a statistically wide range. Some people see a max boost at 3% others may see it at 5%. I allow 2% of 1 card to report which is 1% overall util. I lost points in a month when I allowed EXACTLY the same balance to report on a different card, with a higher limit which put that card at 1.75% util, but still 1% overall. Would the same thing happen if I made the same switch today? I don't know. but I know that for me I have a few datapoints that allow me to get an idea of where my sweet spot is.

Message 12 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chill.

Your hard work resulted in a massive positive change in your score, which you should be proud of, that is obvious.

You are now in a new tier of FICO scores, and without the derogatories holding down your score, the utilization factor becomes more noticeable.

When you went from 7% utilization to 0% on your debt, that puts you in the category of "cardholder has no debts to measure", which is why the suggestion is around to report 1% to 9%, not $0. This change from 7% to 0%? That is an example of FICO having no memory, so with 0% reporting, it recalibrated the measures.

Now, when you go from 0% to 7%, having 7% utilization is in the sweet spot, so you get some points, but because FICO has no memory, it starts from 0% and says this cardholder is now borrowing some money, so we'll give points, but we have to see how the payments work out. You can't expect to gain back exactly the same 13 points, that is not what is meant by no memory.

You also have to allow time for the algorithm to get used to any particular configuration you are allowing to report. It has to have time to stabilize and is not an instant adjustment that knows your future intentions. FICO is always backward looking, and does the best it can with the information in your credit file.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my main frustration comes with my purchase of the 3 score and report product. I didn't realize they only gave you ONE report when you purchase this. I wish I had done more research, as Experian has a MUCH better deal being as they give you a fresh report monthly. 

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think my main frustration comes with my purchase of the 3 score and report product. I didn't realize they only gave you ONE report when you purchase this. I wish I had done more research, as Experian has a MUCH better deal being as they give you a fresh report monthly. 

The three report provides updates any time something changes in the three reports. All you have to do is add those changes in to the original reports provided and you know the current content of the reports.

Message 15 of 29
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Experiandirect gives you daily pulls and alerts, etc...for $20 mo.

Its the 08 score, same as here
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chill.

FICO has no memory when it comes to utilization. If you can freeze time and change utilization, your score would bounce back to the same score when you utilization bounces back. But if you change anything in your credit profile (number of payments made, derogs, number of accounts, number of inquiries, average age of accounts, etc) then the weight any given factor plays on your score could change, and thus the change in your score could change. 

What people told you was correct. Utilization has no memory. What you are not understanding is that the weight of any given factor in your FICO score changes as your profile changes (simplified statement summarizing my prior lengthy post).

Message 17 of 29
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The basic scoring principle of Fico as far as utilization has no memory but Fico has buckets and anecdotal evidence shows that someone who has been running high utilization for awhile gets bucketed down to a lower scoring bucket and when the high util is cured a lot of lost points are recovered, not all. It takes awhile at low util before you get re bucketed back up into a higher scoring bucket. In other words you have to show Fico you can maintain that low utiliztion for a period of time,

Message 18 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chill.

FICO has no memory when it comes to utilization. If you can freeze time and change utilization, your score would bounce back to the same score when you utilization bounces back. But if you change anything in your credit profile (number of payments made, derogs, number of accounts, number of inquiries, average age of accounts, etc) then the weight any given factor plays on your score could change, and thus the change in your score could change. 

What people told you was correct. Utilization has no memory. What you are not understanding is that the weight of any given factor in your FICO score changes as your profile changes (simplified statement summarizing my prior lengthy post).

I think this is incorrect, or at least, it can't happen in one month. What OP did was reset all the loan balances to No Debt Outstanding. Then, OP changed the game by Taking On New Debt From A Zero Balance. That's a form of negative. So OP cannot expect the utilization memory to come back the same as the prior month, because there has been an interruption in the basic "are you borrowing money yes or no" question. It went No, so that changes the baseline the next time it goes Yes.

And, like a lot of OP in this forum, people need to realize that FICO changes rapidly, particularly if one has a short credit history. The only thing that stabilizes FICO is a long history of consistent payments and no missed payments. Any zeroing of open balances, or derogs, can change that sequence and then FICO needs some time to get back on track.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 29
dragonfly66
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As your credit profile changes, the relative weight of any one category of your credit profile on your credit score changes. FICO's scoring model is not a simple 35% for category A, 30% for category B etc model. The relative weights of the categories change as your profile changes. While payment history is worth 35% of the general population's FICO score (think of this as average person), none of our profiles likely track exactly with the general population. In fact, the chance that we track exactly with the general population is infinitely small even if we have the average score. Why? Maybe I have 531 payments in my history with a perfect record, but the general population has 530 or 555, or 999, or 231. And we are merely talking about one single factor in FICO score (i.e. payment history) and one particular factor within the payment history category of FICO scoring (i.e. number of payments rather than number of missed payments or percentage of missed payments). 

Source: http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsInYourScore.aspx

Relevant quote: "These percentages are based on the importance of the five categories for the general population. For particular groups—for example, people who have not been using credit long—the relative importance of these categories may be different."

What Does It Mean?: FICO scoring is dynamic and not based on a simple to follow formula. It is one of the reasons why other scoring models do not exactly track with FICO scoring. In fact each FICO scoring model is different, but that is a whole different topic. 

FICO scoring is complicated. Most people won't understand it. Mathematical experts are unable to duplicate it because the formula is proprietary. The scoring model works relatively well, which is why it is used. Major banks would not use a scoring model that is not effective at determining risk. While the model is not perfect, it does work. FICO tries to simplify the scoring methodology by breaking it down into categories with relative weight and basic things to do to improve your score. While the information is correct, it is oversimplified. They know they can't explain calculus to someone in the first grade (using a simple analogy...I don't mean to say the average American is like a first grader or that calculus is hard, but merely that calculus would be close to impossible for most first graders). They have to simplify the explanation so it makes sense. They provide more detailed information about the scoring methodology for people who are interested, but they don't publicize their scoring algorithms since it is how they make their money. 

Excellent post.  Very informative.

Current - FICO 3/2019: EX(753); EQ(763); TU(749)
Beginning - FICO 7/2014: EX(630); EQ(608); TU(581)
Credit: Wells Fargo Home Projects Charge Card ($7,800); Wells Fargo Home Rebate Visa ($4,000); Capital One Quicksilver ($10,000); Capital One Venture ($6,000); Discover it ($7,900); Macy's ($20,000); BrandsMart ($4,000); Banana Republic ($1,200); Lowes ($12,000); Amex Everyday ($30,000); Macy's Amex ($15,000); Amex Platinum (NPSL); Citi Diamond Preferred ($9,000); Chase Freedom ($9,000); Wells Fargo Outdoor Solutions ($10,000); SunTrust HELOC ($25,000)
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.