cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just paid off an old charge off.. whats next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just paid off an old charge off.. whats next?

I had an old Cap one charge off from 2006 that was hurting me so I paid it.  I still have lots of collections but since I know these wont help my score if I pay them should I just focus on getting my utilization down?   As of now I my positive accounts are two HSBC cards and a Badcock furniture.  the balances/limits are as follows:

849/1800 Badcock

378/400  Orchard

78/100  BestBuy

I pay the cards in full everymonth but I guess I do it on the wrong date so its reports the high balance.  This time when I PIF Im not going to use them for a while.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just paid off an old charge off.. whats next?

If it was from 96 you shouldn't have paid anything and it shouldn't have been on your reports.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I meant 2006.  That is the second time Ive done that

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Ignoring the CAs because paying them wont help your immediate FICO score may come back to bite you.  The debt is still owed.

I would at least consider  the DOFD on the OC account that led up to each CA,  and make sure you know the statute of limitations on the unpaid debt.  You still run the risk of legal action against you, and should know if you have a valid SOL defense should that happen.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.