Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm A Credit Virgin And I Want It To Be Special

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I'm A Credit Virgin And I Want It To Be Special

They display on your full reports for two years, but they are only factored into FICO scoring for one year.

They don't show up on your FICO reports after one year (because of the scoring thing), but they do show on your full reports and other secondary reports like TrueCredit, etc.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 62
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:

ByrdMan wrote:

Wow, you and HTSU have been getting busy discussing your credit devirginization.  I'd say you have rounded second and are heading into third.  Watch the signs closely though, you wouldn't want to misread the sign and wind up out at home.

Goodness, I've never played Pandarus before! Smiley Surprised

It sounds as though ByrdMan is taking things over now. Smiley Wink

Oh, by the way, as in so many things, you'll probably do best to start with one kind-hearted conquest first. I'd go for the CU first and get some practice (establish some history) before going after the hotties.

wow, hope my kids don't read this...
A Pandarus virgin?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 62
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

No, no, you're combining the characters here! And I refuse to go any further. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 62
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:
No, no, you're combining the characters here! And I refuse to go any further. Smiley Very Happy
LOL. I am done with all of the analogies/metaphors/similes or whatever they are.

Message 24 of 62
pdxuser
Contributor

A few days ago I was reading this list of AA reasons and I noticed it kept referring to "bank/national revolving accounts." Is that likely distinguishing between major national banks like Citi/Chase/BOA and credit unions/regional banks?

Also, if anyone can dig up where the admin said the big nationals count more, I'd love to read that.

Message 25 of 62
pdxuser
Contributor

Ok, I think I may have found the note about national banks HTSU was referring to. Barry said, "While it's good to have any credit card, the scoring formula gives you a few more points for having a card issued by a 'national' bank card issuer, i.e. Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo, etc, as opposed to a small/regional bank or credit union." So that does sound like cards from credit unions and small/regional banks don't factor as highly, nor do they count for credit mix.

So, as long as I'm aiming for perfection, why not just get 3 major national cards, a store card, and an installment loan?

By the way, HTSU, where did you get this formula of doubling the number of installment loans and adding two or three to that to get the ideal number of credit cards?

Message 26 of 62
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@MattH wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Goodness, I've never played Pandarus before! Smiley Surprised

Look out for DiomedesSmiley Wink

I was going with the Chaucer and Shakespeare versions! Smiley Wink

I forget who defined millihelen as sufficient pulchritude to launch a single shipSmiley Tongue

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 27 of 62
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Junejer wrote:
A Pandarus virgin?

Well, I suppose that depends whether one prefers Homer's version or the Chaucer and Shakespeare versions of the character...

Here's a scholarly book with much more information than most would want to know!

Message Edited by MattH on 10-26-2008 07:05 AM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 28 of 62
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

pdxuser wrote:

Ok, I think I may have found the note about national banks HTSU was referring to. Barry said, "While it's good to have any credit card, the scoring formula gives you a few more points for having a card issued by a 'national' bank card issuer, i.e. Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo, etc, as opposed to a small/regional bank or credit union." So that does sound like cards from credit unions and small/regional banks don't factor as highly, nor do they count for credit mix.

So, as long as I'm aiming for perfection, why not just get 3 major national cards, a store card, and an installment loan?

By the way, HTSU, where did you get this formula of doubling the number of installment loans and adding two or three to that to get the ideal number of credit cards?

FICO scoring will tell you that you have too many accounts with balances, if you have 50% or more of your open accounts with balances. So, because your installment loans and mortgages will have a balance, until it's paid off, you need to get under that 50% mark by adding revolving accounts that can have a $0 balance and still remain open.

I am not HTSU, but I hope that I have been helpful.

Message 29 of 62
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ByrdMan wrote:

pdxuser wrote:

...By the way, HTSU, where did you get this formula of doubling the number of installment loans and adding two or three to that to get the ideal number of credit cards?

FICO scoring will tell you that you have too many accounts with balances, if you have 50% or more of your open accounts with balances. So, because your installment loans and mortgages will have a balance, until it's paid off, you need to get under that 50% mark by adding revolving accounts that can have a $0 balance and still remain open.

I am not HTSU, but I hope that I have been helpful.

Exactly as ByrdMan said. Luckily, this bit (the ratio) is pretty straightforward, once you see enough comments on FICO score reports.

For us FICO score junkies, pretty much everything that we know around here (or think we know) has come from all of us using inductive reasoning on all the feedback that members have posted in the 19 months of the forums' existence. And the more info that members share, the more it increases the chances that we have gotten something right.

With the myriad of individual circumstances and buckets that affect scores and score reactions (and with the waters muddied by occasional FAKO junk), we often wind up having to change what we thought we knew --probably around every 20 minutes, in fact. Smiley Tongue

It's always a hoot to go back and read old threads where everyone was nodding their heads up and down, solemnly endorsing something that turned out to be completely and utterly wrong. Every now at then, we get a scrap of hard fact, like the link you posted about CU cards, and it makes us score junkies look like a school of sharks after receiving a fresh load of chum. Smiley Very Happy
Message 30 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.