cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've gotten a couple of new credit cards recently with the inevitable hard pulls

tag
tavalon
Established Member

I've gotten a couple of new credit cards recently with the inevitable hard pulls

The thing I don't get is Equifax dinged me 16 points for the first one and 4 for the next one. They were a couple of weeks apart. Oh, and they didn't ding me at all for the hard pull that resulted in my new car.  It doesn't seem all that scientific, does it? Is there something I'm missing?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I've gotten a couple of new credit cards recently with the inevitable hard pulls

@tavalon wrote:

The thing I don't get is Equifax dinged me 16 points for the first one and 4 for the next one. They were a couple of weeks apart. Oh, and they didn't ding me at all for the hard pull that resulted in my new car.  It doesn't seem all that scientific, does it? Is there something I'm missing?

Inquiries are graded on a step function.

It's not exact but for illustration purposes on inquiry counts:

0 -> 1: drop

1 -> 2: no drop

2 -> 3: drop

3 -> 4: no drop

4 -> 5: no drop

5 -> 6: drop

etc.  

As a result we aren't penalized for every single inquiry, or at least not linearly.  Less inquiries is clearly better under this model, but each individual one as you go up or down the ladder may not produce an upward or downward swing.  Also this does vary as far as we know with the individual report in question, but generally it holds well.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.