cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was tricked into opening a Care Credit Card. What happens if I pay it off and close it immediately

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was tricked into opening a Care Credit Card. What happens if I pay it off and close it immediately

I was buying a pair of glasses and they recommended a payment plan I did not know it was a credit card until it was too late now I have a Care Credit Card. The balance is not too expensive and I am not worried about paying it off I have 6 months 0 interest and it is only a $400 balance I plan on paying it off within 2 months or so so my question is once I am done paying it off will closing the Care Credit Card or allowing it to close on its own due to inactivity negatively affect my credit score? I have no other credit cards and my score has been very high due to my student loan payments. I really don't want to mess it up. after this glasses payment I will really have no need for the care credit card. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I was tricked into opening a Care Credit Card. What happens if I pay it off and close it immedia

Not having ANY credit cards actually lowers your score, so having a credit card with less than 9% total utilization will help your score.

What are your actual FICO scores?

Message 2 of 59
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: I was tricked into opening a Care Credit Card. What happens if I pay it off and close it immedia

Well you took the pull and now it is open. Why not keep it?

My wife has one of these and we have used it for our kids when they had their wisdom teeth removed as well as the dog when she had high vet bills. It comes in handy when needed!

There has been a dry spell of use for over a year with no problems at all.

My advice is keep it and use it if you need it. Very high APR so always make sure you can pay it off in time.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 3 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused.... how do you have high FICO scores with no credit cards???
Message 4 of 59
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

What exactly are your scores since you have not had any revolving credit
Message 5 of 59
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

What's the credit limit on the card?

Message 6 of 59
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

There's no such thing as being "tricked" into opening a credit account. Once you provide your S.S. number, all bets are off!!

If your really that upset about it, pay it off in 6 months, and leave it alone. It'll close on its own for non activity, and YOU will reap the Fico score benefits. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 59
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was buying a pair of glasses and they recommended a payment plan I did not know it was a credit card until it was too late now I have a Care Credit Card. The balance is not too expensive and I am not worried about paying it off I have 6 months 0 interest and it is only a $400 balance I plan on paying it off within 2 months or so so my question is once I am done paying it off will closing the Care Credit Card or allowing it to close on its own due to inactivity negatively affect my credit score? I have no other credit cards and my score has been very high due to my student loan payments. I really don't want to mess it up. after this glasses payment I will really have no need for the care credit card. Thoughts?

Pay it down to zero, and either cut it up or sock drawer it, but don't close it until you have another, more functional, credit card in your "credit mix".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 59
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Uhm.. keep it?

You took the hard pulls, dont close it immediately, if anything let it close on its own for not being used...

Read your post....

Yes you have student loans, but no other cards?

You may appear to have a high score. but its still not overly stable... 

You might want to actually consider having apping for a usable card.. 

Theres this thing called credit mix .....

There are a few options... Again  if you think of it like a debit card, vs a credit card.. you should be able to handle a card or two.

Like anything else.. its all up to you.. But you might find you need credit for other things and the student loan is somewhat treated as a liability not an asset in obtaining these things... 

-J

Message 9 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to other responders. As you have this card now, you may as well keep it. It's far from being the worst card out there - my mother has it, and I was seriously considering applying for it for various healthcare expenses (including new eyeglasses!) until I got a better deal with Discover - but if you use it, do try to PIF if you can. More to the point, use this card as a springboard from which you can apply for better credit cards and broaden your portfolio.

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.