cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will never understand credit score.

tag
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

Re: I will never understand credit score.

Update: so my other CC was updated this morning from  8730 to 0 and I gained 6 points and lost 2 pts for same scenario. I rest my case with fico system.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditcurious74 wrote:

Update: so my other CC was updated this morning from  8730 to 0 and I gained 6 points and lost 2 pts for same scenario. I rest my case with fico system.

Rest your case? What have you proven? You are trying to make a conclusion about a complex algorithm with 2, or even a few data points?

FICO's scoring algorithm complex. No one category (payment history, utilization, etc) has a fixed weight. As your credit profile changes, each categories weight on your score changes. As you pay down your balance something else in your profile (perhaps the older account age) could dilute the impact utilization has on your score. Such a dilution could result in a reduced score along with reduced CC balances. The portion of your score attributed to utilization might go up, but if the weight utilization has on your overall score goes down, your overall score could potentially go down. 

People like to quote numbers like payment history contribues to 35% of your score and utilization contributes to 30%. While these are publically disclosed numbers, they come with some fineprint. The listed numbers indicate how the categories effect the general population. The chance any of us are right in tune with the general population in every single aspect (number of accounts, exact age of accounts, exact CC limits, exact CC debt to the penny, etc) is so infinitely small, that these numbers may not apply to us. Since FICO's formulas are proprietary, we don't get to see them either. 

In general, paying down balances will increase your score. But in some circumstances paying down a balance might hurt your score because of the dynamic aspect of the formula. Keep doing what you are doing and your balances will go down and your score will tend to go up. 

There are two other things you should note. If your total revolving debt ever reports at 0, you will potentially lose points compared to people in the good to optimal utilization range. Moreover, the 3 Bureau monitoring service does not always match the alert with the point change. This is because the service does not trigger a recaculation for all potential point changes and when a triggering alert occurs a recalculation occurs and any point change is attributed to the alert only. 

Message 12 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Creditcurious74 wrote:

+1 to Random's comments.

OP, you have a few days of big swings in your outstanding balances. Net you are up 4 points, that's the way to look at this.

What are your other CC, their limits, and open balances? How long have these cards been active? Just one change in one of those items is only a small subset of what FICO is looking at, so any commenting requires the full picture of your credit profile.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 15
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Creditcurious74 wrote:

So I lose 2 points just because I paid off the whole balance on one of my credit cards. This is crazy! I also paid off last month my Navy with almost 13K balance which has not been updated. I hope I won't lose more points for this. Has this happen to you guys?

They don't want you to understand scoring.  This keeps the money coming  in. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 14 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@Creditcurious74 wrote:

So I lose 2 points just because I paid off the whole balance on one of my credit cards. This is crazy! I also paid off last month my Navy with almost 13K balance which has not been updated. I hope I won't lose more points for this. Has this happen to you guys?

They don't want you to understand scoring.  This keeps the money coming  in. 

Good point, if everyone knew the scoring algorithm then it would become irrelvant and disappear into the dustbin of history.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.