Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will never understand credit score.

tag
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

I will never understand credit score.

So I lose 2 points just because I paid off the whole balance on one of my credit cards. This is crazy! I also paid off last month my Navy with almost 13K balance which has not been updated. I hope I won't lose more points for this. Has this happen to you guys?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I will never understand credit score.

Two points is such a tiny change that it could have been caused by anything. 

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a 17 pt increase from Equifax for paying one card down $200 lol  Tu was a 9 pt boost and EX only a 2 pt boost.  I was already under 10% utilitzation so it made no sense for the bump.  I won't complain but I will never understand the credit scoring system.  The ONLY thing that would make sense for my boost is that it was for something else in their system and coincided with the timing of this payment.

Message 3 of 15
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I really don't care about the 2 points since I will recover that. Nothing has change in my CR but is ods that by paying off a complete balance this could happen, I don't remember where I read someone advised keeping a low balance to avoid this. I don't know if that's true or ot

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditcurious74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I really don't care about the 2 points since I will recover that. Nothing has change in my CR but is ods that by paying off a complete balance this could happen, I don't remember where I read someone advised keeping a low balance to avoid this. I don't know if that's true or ot

Your credit profile changes every day. For example, accounts get a day older, inquiries get a day older, any baddies you have get a day older. There are so many factors involved in the scoring algorithms that it's nearly impossible to definitively correlate a small score change to a specific event. A large score change, perhaps. but not a small one.

Message 5 of 15
Creditcurious74
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the input guys, but this never happen to me before at least for lowering a credit card balance. Have a great day!

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once my car loan was detected, all 3 scores changed. TU dropped 3, EX dropped 27, and EQ increased by about 35. The increase was a huge shock, to be honest. I'll take it though, lol.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your accounts are always aging. Account age will never be constant, so it's impossible to completely isolate any individual factor in your credit score.

FICO does penalize you for having no revolving credit utilization.

"In short, the lower a consumer's credit utilization, the better, but having a small balance is slightly better than having no balance at all," says Barry Paperno, consumer operations manager for FICO, the Minneapolis-based company that created the popular credit scoring formula.

Message 8 of 15
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

When my judgment hit my reports, my Equifax went up 11 points. Now try explaining that. The others 2 reports remained idle when the

judgement hit. Lol

Message 9 of 15
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Got a CLi on my BCE and once the new limit posted to Experian , I lost 3 points due to CLi . Lol.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.