Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INQUIRIES

tag
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

INQUIRIES

So at what number does fico start deducting points for inquiries. I don't always lose points when using a hp. I see some people with 38+ inqs. Is it like after every 5, you may lose a couple points?  Is there a method to this madness? 

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: INQUIRIES

Its not the inquries that lower a score, it's the new accounts. Yes on average a few points get knocked off. The main, more important problem with a lot of inquiries is the banks extending the credit all look at them in different ways. Yes some of us with 30 inquiries still can apply and get new accounts, but I have had credit cards since 1996. 10 recent inquries for someone with a long thick file may not be seen the same as a guy or gal 3rd year in college with only 4 tradelines. Additionally if someone applying is in the grey area ofd approval, high inquiries will make it a NO quicker that someone who hasnt applied for anything in a year or two.

They look for patterns. If you light up as an individual actively seeking credit everywhere, it looks bad. You can get HP from just asking for credit line increases, so inquries dont always tell the story that a brend new account, or a bunch of them does.

Message 2 of 3
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

Re: INQUIRIES

Good answer,  thanks never looked at it from that perspective. 

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.