Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea Utilization for Maximum Score

tag
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Idea Utilization for Maximum Score

I have 4 sub-prime cards and am looking to apply for my first prime card. I am thinking the Barclay Rewards Card. Anyways, my TU FICO is right at 700 (give or take 3 points). The concenus on this board for ideal utilzation with regards to your best score seems to be a 9% utilization. I guess my question before I apply for my new card is this: Should I leave 9% on my CapOne card which is not only my oldest card, but also has my highest limit ($1,500)? Or, should I spread the 9% out over 2 or 3 cards?

Thanks ahead of time!

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Idea Utilization for Maximum Score

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

I have 4 sub-prime cards and am looking to apply for my first prime card. I am thinking the Barclay Rewards Card. Anyways, my TU FICO is right at 700 (give or take 3 points). The concenus on this board for ideal utilzation with regards to your best score seems to be a 9% utilization. I guess my question before I apply for my new card is this: Should I leave 9% on my CapOne card which is not only my oldest card, but also has my highest limit ($1,500)? Or, should I spread the 9% out over 2 or 3 cards?

Thanks ahead of time!

VERY Imporant - only have one card with a balance.  "# of cards with balance" is a data point used in calculating your score.  

I've personally had best results with my largest card having about a balance of 1% to 3% of my total credit, and everything else zero.

Message 2 of 5
YahComb
Established Contributor

it can change as your history grows and your bucket changes.

For me, right now, a singlle card, even with a 1% balance, gives me a lower score than zero cards with a balance-about 5-7 points difference. a sub 1% balance is worth about a point more than 1%.

over 5% on a single card would give me even less points(only a couple more points)

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 3 of 5
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys. I think! Actually, now I am more confused than anything. I was just getting ready to leave $288 on my CapOne card ($1,500 CL), which would have let me at 9% utilization. You guys are saying that may be too high. I really need to get this right. My CapOne statement cycles this week and I need the highest FICO possible afterwards. If I get it wrong, it will be another month before I can apply for the Barclaycard and refinance my car.

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

Thanks guys. I think! Actually, now I am more confused than anything. I was just getting ready to leave $288 on my CapOne card ($1,500 CL), which would have let me at 9% utilization. You guys are saying that may be too high. I really need to get this right. My CapOne statement cycles this week and I need the highest FICO possible afterwards. If I get it wrong, it will be another month before I can apply for the Barclaycard and refinance my car.

You want to have NO MORE THAN 9% for optimum scoring.  The recommendation is usually 1-9%, but no more than that.  It should be on one card only.  Everyone has their own "sweet spot", that utilisation amount that's key for optimal scores.  Some have reported that 5-7% is a personal sweet spot.  For me, it's 4-5% where I get my best scores.  Could be relative to your total accumulated credit as well; the higher your CL, the lower your "sweet spot".  But this could also be a YMMV thang!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.