cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a CA reaches 2 years of age...do you gain some points back?

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

If a CA reaches 2 years of age...do you gain some points back?

I read that the impact of a late after 2 years is minimal compared to when it is new. That made me wonder if the same is true for collections.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: If a CA reaches 2 years of age...do you gain some points back?

Minor derogs/delinquencies do lose most of their negative FICO impact more rapidly, and I estimate they have less than a 10 pt impact after two years, but a CA or CO is scored, from what I have seen, as a major delinquency over the full 7 years on your CR.

My studies of credit models, for what it is worth, shows that a major delinquency (90+, CA, or CO) initiallly impacts credit score by at least 30 points, and then only decays linearly for the remaining 7 years.  I would only expect an increase of around 5 pts per year for aging of a CA.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 12-02-2008 05:16 PM
Message 2 of 3
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If a CA reaches 2 years of age...do you gain some points back?

It should be noted, for new members reading this thread, that each person's report is different, and thus, the effect of a major or minor will be different for each person.

There is an example of one of our members who gained 55 points for the removal of a seven year old collection from his CRs. I personally gained 43 points from a 30 day "current status" being corrected.

So, the points that RobertEG was referring was most likely to his personal report and his results.

RobertEG wrote:

Minor derogs/delinquencies do lose most of their negative FICO impact more rapidly, and I estimate they have less than a 10 pt impact after two years, but a CA or CO is scored, from what I have seen, as a major delinquency over the full 7 years on your CR.

My studies of credit models, for what it is worth, shows that a major delinquency (90+, CA, or CO) initiallly impacts credit score by at least 30 points, and then only decays linearly for the remaining 7 years.  I would only expect an increase of around 5 pts per year for aging of a CA.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 12-02-2008 05:16 PM

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.