cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of 90 day late dropping off report = FICO score increase of 26 points! Very happy, but why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impact of 90 day late dropping off report = FICO score increase of 26 points! Very happy, but why?

After almost 7 years - at the end of Jan a 90 day late dropped off my credit report. ( I have one 60 day late that will drop next month and then the report will be totally clean _ and boy was that a long long wait).  I wanted to share the impact this had on my Equifax FICO score

Jan 20th Eq FICO = 725

Feb 5th Eq FICO =  756  an increase of 26 points! 

As background - there is only this one account with any negative infor (only the 60 day to drop off next month).  AAoA is around 7 years - with oldest account 20+ years old,  ultilization is <15%. one mortgage and one car loan (about 59% of original - but only 2400$)

(my DH score went from 730 to 774 during the same time - but this also includes getting a card to report which was 10+ years of good history at 19% util in addition to the 90 day late dropping off).

Everything that I had read indicated that by the time the late was so old it would have very little impact on my score - so I was delighted to see such a big increase. (both scores were pulled from equifax score watch and the feb score confirmed by a mortgage broker (refi)).

I was thinking that maybe I saw such a big jump because this 90 day had kept in in a one bracket and when it was removed I moved to another bracket which is why my score jumped so much.

Just wondered if anyone had any insight?

thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Impact of 90 day late dropping off report = FICO score increase of 26 points! Very happy, but w

Great news.  I have a 120 day late that has 2.5 more years to go and fully expect it to be on my CR until the full term.  I think you will also so some points for the 60 day late diying as well.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 12
asanch12
Contributor

Re: Impact of 90 day late dropping off report = FICO score increase of 26 points! Very happy, but w

ukdebc,

so funny you posted this.  I too was going to ask the same thing.  I had a 60 day late from '03 and it just hit 7 years and my score jumped by 21.  I'm assuming the jump in points was because of that.  A pleasant surprise, I have another 90 day expected to come off this month, we'll see how that impacts my score!

congrats!

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 688
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought that I would update this with the impact of that final 60 late dropping off the equifax score...

Jan 2010 - score = 725   (showing 1x 90 and 1x 60 day late - same account almost 7 years old)

Feb 2010 - score = 756   (showing 1x 60 day account)

Mar 2010 - score = 781   ( showing squeaky clean - no dings - I additional inquiry also this month....)

Smiley Happy

Message Edited by ukdebc on 03-04-2010 08:30 PM
Message Edited by ukdebc on 03-04-2010 08:31 PM
Message 4 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! That's a lot of points for an old 60-day-late dropping off of a report. But, we're talking about EQ, aren't we.Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 12
asanch12
Contributor

nice!  congrats

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 688
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I've been hearing that you shouldn't expect much of an increase when an old negative dropped from your report so when my BK7 dropped yesterday I wasn't expecting much of an increase. My last TU pull was 737 with the BK gone it was 770. EQ was even more of an increase. I went from 698 to 754. I think I left a few points on the table too since I let more accounts report than I would if I wanted to see a score. I didn't have the patience to wait though once I saw the BK drop.
Message 7 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ukdebc wrote:

After almost 7 years - at the end of Jan a 90 day late dropped off my credit report. ( I have one 60 day late that will drop next month and then the report will be totally clean _ and boy was that a long long wait).  I wanted to share the impact this had on my Equifax FICO score

Jan 20th Eq FICO = 725

Feb 5th Eq FICO =  756  an increase of 26 points! 

As background - there is only this one account with any negative infor (only the 60 day to drop off next month).  AAoA is around 7 years - with oldest account 20+ years old,  ultilization is <15%. one mortgage and one car loan (about 59% of original - but only 2400$)

(my DH score went from 730 to 774 during the same time - but this also includes getting a card to report which was 10+ years of good history at 19% util in addition to the 90 day late dropping off).

Everything that I had read indicated that by the time the late was so old it would have very little impact on my score - so I was delighted to see such a big increase. (both scores were pulled from equifax score watch and the feb score confirmed by a mortgage broker (refi)).

I was thinking that maybe I saw such a big jump because this 90 day had kept in in a one bracket and when it was removed I moved to another bracket which is why my score jumped so much.

Just wondered if anyone had any insight?

thanks

Old 60's count as 30's, so the 90 was your only serious derog.

When the 90 left, it moved you out of the serious derog bucket into a clean one, presumably one driven by your AAoA/ oldest account. Same thing happened with me when WFFNB showed mercy and removed my lates, including a 90. I still have 30's on 3 or 4 TL's, but my scores hopped nicely.

When the 60 leaves, you will have all clean TL's, and I think you'll get some happiness from that as well.

When it comes to score changes or lack thereof, it's all in what's left on the reports after something goes away. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the insight

When the 60 dropped off I saw another bump in score... to 781 - very happy !

Message 9 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Whoops, that's right, I'd lost track of the fact that this was an older thread that you had updated! Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, a great example of the incremental changes that we get as we move from one category to another. I'm looking forward to when I have all clean TL's, although it's gonna be a longish wait. Smiley Tongue (March 2014)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.