New Visitor

Improving credit score by closing accounts

My score was downgraded for "Amount of new credit". Can I improve my score by closing recent credit card accounts, most of which I seldom use?

Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

Re: Improving credit score by closing accounts

No, in fact closing some cards could have an adverse impact on FICO. Whenever you open any new account you'll get dinged due to the new credit as well as the potential for a negative hit on your AAoA (average age of accounts). Many post losses after it first report. On average, I've lost 20-25 when adding new CCs, loans, etc. That ding is temporary and usually by one year any impact has been erased. For some, they've posted gains when adding a new CC, but that's usually due to a positive impact on a mix of credit and/or positive impact to CC utilization. Usually after 3-4 CCs then that ding becomes apparent.

If you close accounts, then once closed, they'll forever be removed from utilization calcs. So, if you carry balances on your other CCs then closing old ones with a $0 balance will increase utilization and potentially decrease your FICO. In the long term, the CRAs will delete the account usually 10 years from closure. Once deleted you lose a longer history and that can negatively impact FICO as well. It's best practice to keep them open for as long as possible and use them every 3-4-5 months for a cup of coffee and then pay in full.

New Visitor

Let me be more precise with my question. If I close a credit card account that home depot automatically renewed for me in Aug 2012, will my score go up? I used it in the past on one of those no interest deals but am not likely to use it again.

Established Member

No. Closed account will stay on your credit report for 10 years.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

thomastrout wrote:

Let me be more precise with my question. If I close a credit card account that home depot automatically renewed for me in Aug 2012, will my score go up? I used it in the past on one of those no interest deals but am not likely to use it again.

Closing a credit card won't HURT your FICO score unless your revolving utilization increases as a result of lowering your revolving credit limits  ( i.e. number of cards with balances, utilization%..)

Closing a credit card won't boost your FICO score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
New Visitor

Thanks for the information.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.