Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving credit score

tag
rs007
New Visitor

Improving credit score

Hope everybody is doing well Citi automatically upgraded my credit card limit from $8000 to $20000 and I told them to bring it back to $8000 as I don't want to take any risks associated with card getting lost, etc even though most card companies help you with My normal monthly credit card usage is $2000. Now, I know credit score takes into account debt/credit limit % so currently, I'm hitting 2000/8000 = 25%. If I let Citi take my limit to $20,000, will it improve my credit score? In other words, will a debt to credit limit ratio of 10% or 1% really make a difference vs 25% Also, on my FICO credit report, it shows a red color in 'length of credit history'. What's a good length? I've only had credit cards for 5 years now. When can I expect a 'good' status next to my length of credit history? Than you all
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Improving credit score

Never refuse a CLI or a free meal my friend.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, going from 25% to 10% will make a noticeable difference in your score. Especially if you get your utilization below 10%.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Citi card should have fraud protection too so you shouldn't be liable even if it is stolen. There is no reason to turn down a CLI unless you are going for a mortgage and you are afraid an underwriter is going to think you have access to too much rope to hang yourself with (but if you have handled it responsibly for sometime this is highly unlikely)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.