cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving score by taking out personal loan to pay off CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Improving score by taking out personal loan to pay off CC?

Hi, should my score improve if I am able to get a personal loan to pay off my CC's?

My score right now is 685, I think. I owe about $6000 in CC.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Macroman
Regular Contributor

Re: Improving score by taking out personal loan to pay off CC?

My barometer would be if the deal saves me money not the score. Chances are the score improvement won't be that great.

Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, should my score improve if I am able to get a personal loan to pay off my CC's?

My score right now is 685, I think. I owe about $6000 in CC.

Thanks!

If you do get that loan do you have the self discipline to keep from running the balances on those CC's back up? If you don't have that discipline you'll end owing that personal loan plus the same CC's with high balances. I ask that because I've done that very thing several times.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually paying off the debt will most likely have a pretty strong impact on your score.  It's also good fiscal management.

Message 4 of 6
Macroman
Regular Contributor

My point is that you're not paying off the debt, you're shuffling it from one account to another. Once it's paid it's a huge positive. Even reducing the balance is a big help. Moving the debt to an installment loan may or may not help your score.

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If one of your negatives is high revolving util, moving the debt to installment will definitely help. You didn't say what your CL's are, so I don't know what util that $6K of debt represents. Installment util carries much less effect on scoring than does revolving, so shifting debt can make quite a difference.

BUT you absolutely must not add any new CC debt while you pay off the loan, or you will be in twice as much trouble as before. If that $6K represents some sort of one-time disaster (uninsured medical expenses, tree falling through roof, etc.), you might be OK. If it resulted from lots of impulse buying, floating balances and getting finance charges tacked on, and so forth, then you need to think long and hard about whether you will really be able to pay off this loan while keeping CC debt away.

It's OK to use your cards occasionally during this process; in fact, you'll probably need to in order to keep them open. But only use them for things that you would have to pay for with cash --a grocery trip, a tank of gas. Don't go buying things that you can truly live without for a while longer --CD's, clothes, a new lamp. After you use a CC for a must-have purpose, pay it off online when it hits, or at the end of that week. You must not allow any recurring CC debt to return.

Sorry to belabor this point, but borrowing money on a loan to pay off CC's and then running the CC's back up again is a horribly common practice. But many of us have done this successfully. You just have to be ruthlessly honest with yourself, as does anyone else who uses your cards, such as a spouse/ significant other.

Good luck!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.