Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income and Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Income and Scores

I always wonder, how can people have an income of 200k plus and scores in the 600's? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Income and Scores

It doesn't matter if you made 1m a year if you can't live with your means whatever that may be then you go broke. Look how many stars you read about who have made tens of millions of dollars in their career and still file for bankruptcy.
Message 2 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

OP, the thread you originally replied to was a year old, so we have created a new thread, editing only the headline to reflect your topic.

To answer your question very briefly, high income doesn't always equate having a good credit history.  I'm sure others can elaborate.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember that timely payments are also a factor.  If they laid off their personal assistant who's been making all of their payments and they haven't bothered with the mail since....  

Just kidding; but that's probably happening somewhere  Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 10
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Can you be in the 600s and not have a derogatory? I'm not sure. So that could explain it. And of course, wealthy people, not needing credit like the rest of us do, may well have better things to do than meticulously zeroing cards before the statement date! A variation of such a correlation is that the scores of some people who have a vast knowledge of credit are in the 600s; the forums here have plenty of them on display on a daily basis. What's going on?

Message 5 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Can you be in the 600s and not have a derogatory? I'm not sure. So that could explain it. And of course, wealthy people, not needing credit like the rest of us do, may well have better things to do than meticulously zeroing cards before the statement date! A variation of such a correlation is that the scores of some people who have a vast knowledge of credit are in the 600s; the forums here have plenty of them on display on a daily basis. What's going on?

Yes you can be in the 600s without any derogs on file. High util will easily do it

Message 6 of 10
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Yes you can be in the 600s without any derogs on file. High util will easily do it

Are you sure?

Message 7 of 10
TexasKaren
Established Member

You can absolutely have a high income and a mediocre score without anything truly "negative" on your credit.  If you have high credit card limits, and all your cards are maxed out, it doesn't matter if you don't have any hard pulls on your credit, or any late payments. Trust me on this one, lol.  It's amazing how much a credit score can jump in two months time just from paying off a couple credit cards all at once.  

Message 8 of 10
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Hello there, TexasKaren. I would love some details on that one if you have them handy!

Message 9 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Income, of course, has nothing directly to do with credit scores. But it does have an effect. High income makes it easier to get both high and, oddly, low scores.

It makes high scores easier because generally one has enough money to pay the bills. You are not looking around to decide which Peter to rob to pay Paul.

But high income also makes it easier to have low scores as well. It's pretty easy to live off debit cards and cash. It's also easy to let bills slide like utilites you didn't close when you move or parking tickets that went to collections. Sure you get phone calls or dunning letter but they are annoyances. Since you aren't using credit you have no idea your scores are in the tank. You really only find out when for some reason you need credit and when your income is high enough those reasons occur much less frequently.

So high income enables you to be a bill paying flake. Been there, done that before I reformed. I don't recommend being a flake.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.