Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase after inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Increase after inquiry?

I applied for a Chase yesterday (fell out of the garden) and this morning myFico gave me an alert about the inquiry and my score went up 7 points. I thought inquiries were suppose to lower your score?

On a side note, got approved and more than doubled my credit limit! (: But, that isn't reported yet so that can't be the reason for the increase.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Increase after inquiry?

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for a Chase yesterday (fell out of the garden) and this morning myFico gave me an alert about the inquiry and my score went up 7 points. I thought inquiries were suppose to lower your score?

On a side note, got approved and more than doubled my credit limit! (: But, that isn't reported yet so that can't be the reason for the increase.

Inquiries are either no impact or negative depending on type of inquiry, and where you fall in the inquiry bins (step function, they aren't counted linearly against you).

That said inquiries are one of the triggers that will result in a score update; in this case something else changed, and the summation between inquiry and other change (which wasn't uniquely tracked) produced the 7 point increase.

        
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet! It got all three of my scores over 700. Any day now my personal loan should update to < 9%. Hoping for a big jump. (:
Message 3 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Something else caused that jump. But hey, it's a jump!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 5
Grafton88
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Sweet! It got all three of my scores over 700. Any day now my personal loan should update to < 9%. Hoping for a big jump. (:

I got around a 25 point jump when I paid down my loan to under 9%.  Hope you get the same results.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.