cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredible score increase in Score Watch alert today, with strange reasons given:

tag
axxy
Regular Contributor

Incredible score increase in Score Watch alert today, with strange reasons given:

My Eq score was 727 till today.  Today (Saturday) I got a Score Watch alert email, which, among other things, said the following:

Your FICO score has exceeded your target score of 727

Your FICO score has gone up to 813 on March 2, 2013.

Your FICO score may have gone up because the following 3 factors are not hurting your FICO score as much as before:

You have a serious delinquency (60 days past due or greater) or a derogatory description on your credit report.

You have a short credit history.

You've recently been looking for credit.

Of course I'm happy about it, but also mystified, because it seems strange that those three reasons could cause such a big jump in score.  And it says I have a serious delinquency, but my score is 813?  How is it possible to have 813 with a serious delinquency?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Incredible score increase in Score Watch alert today, with strange reasons given:

@axxy wrote:

My Eq score was 727 till today.  Today (Saturday) I got a Score Watch alert email, which, among other things, said the following:

Your FICO score has exceeded your target score of 727

Your FICO score has gone up to 813 on March 2, 2013.

Your FICO score may have gone up because the following 3 factors are not hurting your FICO score as much as before:

You have a serious delinquency (60 days past due or greater) or a derogatory description on your credit report.

You have a short credit history.

You've recently been looking for credit.

Of course I'm happy about it, but also mystified, because it seems strange that those three reasons could cause such a big jump in score.  And it says I have a serious delinquency, but my score is 813?  How is it possible to have 813 with a serious delinquency?

It says they are not any longer hurting your scores, which means they have been removed.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 6
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: Incredible score increase in Score Watch alert today, with strange reasons given:

I would ignore the reasons. I got a similarly arbitrary alert too. All 4 reasons were exactly the same.

From what it says either you had a deliquency age or a new account age so that they aren't affecting you as badly. Of course, this may not be the case at all.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 3 of 6
axxy
Regular Contributor

To find out what was going on, I pulled the 2nd report of the Score Watch subscription, a few minutes ago.  It's my understanding that I can get as many reports as I want for $13.97 till my Score Watch subscription expires, so it's no big loss to use the last free one.

It turns out that the derogatory is gone.  When Score Watch used the word "have" it should have been "had".  Presumably, that was an error, but it works in their favor, by causing people to pull more reports to resolve such contradictions.  So it's probably not a very high priority to fix such errors.

And the account is not deleted.  If I had disputed it, it probably would have been deleted.  Now it's adding to my score.  The one that was derogatory.  It's now clean and ancient.  So now 813 seems about right.  But in a few days another bank will report an 88% balance.  So I saved the report with score as a PDF file, just in case I never get another score in the 800's.  The 88% balance is because I spent $880 last month on a card with 2% cash back and a $1000 limit.  Even though I pay it in full each month, FICO will probably interpret it as terrorism or being a deadbeat or something.

Message 4 of 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

lol...

Truthfully anything over a 760 is pretty much treated the same as far as credit is concerned.

Problem is most of us are obsessed with our scores and always looking for how to reach that 850. I have never had a 850 credit score, and I do not know anyone who has, nor have I ever seen one on any mortgage loan credit pull I have done. I honestly doubt it is even possible to have a perfect score.

Highest score I ever reached in my lifetime was 827, and now my scores hoover between 790-810 and fluctuate monthly between those numbers. Nothing really changes on my reports, so its always a guessing game why every month they fluctuate.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 6
axxy
Regular Contributor

A $1000 card posted a balance of almost $900 and I got a Score Watch alert today that the 813 dropped to 810.  The total balance of all my cards combined is usually less than $500, so it's unusual for me to have a near-maxed-out card bringing the total to over $1000.  But it's surprising that I didn't get a bigger score drop for it.  Not that I wanted one.  Just morbid curiosity to see how badly my 813 was going to crash and burn.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.