cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ind. Util. increase - 22% to 42% - guesstimates on score hit?

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Ind. Util. increase - 22% to 42% - guesstimates on score hit?

I'm considering consolidating my cc bills by cleaning up some smaller cc balances via BT to a card that has a 0% BT offer still available.

Doing this would move that BT card (already carrying a 0% BT, this would just add to that amount) from 22% util to 42% util.

Any thoughts on how much this would ding my score?

Current scores range from 698-719.  Overall util is also ~22%.  No baddies. 

Also - any thoughts on whether or not that card going to 42% would panic other creditors into overreactive AA, in the currently icky economic climate?

Thanks in advance!  Smiley Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ind. Util. increase - 22% to 42% - guesstimates on score hit?

Probably not. Will that be your only card with a balance? If your balances are remaining the same but just all going on the same card you may actually get a slight point increase, because 42 percent util  on one card will not set off alarm bells with the formulas.

Message 2 of 4
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably not. Will that be your only card with a balance? If your balances are remaining the same but just all going on the same card you may actually get a slight point increase, because 42 percent util  on one card will not set off alarm bells with the formulas.

Thanks, d.i.g. - it would be one of 2 cards with a balance that would always report, out of 8 (I only have cc TLs). 

This is one of 2 BT cards I'm using to try to pay off my past mistakes at 0%.  The other is at 39% (which I now realize may also factor in and I should have mentioned earlier - sorry) right now, so if I do this BT, I'd have one at 42%, the other at 39%, initially, all others at 0.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would guess 15-20 points. I so wish we could gamble on these things! Can you use the score simulator??
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.