Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual CC utilization vs. No. of CC with Balances

tag
shorttough
New Contributor

Individual CC utilization vs. No. of CC with Balances

hi,

i have 1 credit card at 90% and 2 others at 80%. I recently applied for 2 credit cards. and have a limit of 8000 and 4000.

should i distribute the balances evenly so that all 5 CC have lower than 50 or at 50% and take a hit with  "Too many Account With Balances".

or just leave them as they are.

Thanks

As Of 11/11/2016

TU-793
EQ-801
EX-754
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Individual CC utilization vs. No. of CC with Balances

The one at 90% is considered maxed out.  You should be careful with that, sometime they will balance chase you down and drop the CL.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
beb86
Valued Contributor

If your new cards have lower interest and 0% BT I would try to BT to your new card(s) and pay down asap...

Message 3 of 5
shorttough
New Contributor

i have till February to improve my score as much as i can, so i'm really looking for quick improvement.

Current Score as of now is 708 Equifax

As Of 11/11/2016

TU-793
EQ-801
EX-754
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FairIsaac has not, to my knowlege, disclosed the respective weightings given to individ card utils and % with balance.

From anecdotal postings, it appears that % with balance is lower, so I would put more focus on maintaining individ card utils lower.

Aside from FICO scoring implications, extended higher % utils on cards are often a trigger for potential credit limit reductions by creditors.

Thus, maintaining high individ card utils might lead to future CL decreases, resulting in reduction of card balances not providing a reduction in % util on the card.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.