Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual revolving tradeline utilization tracking

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Individual revolving tradeline utilization tracking

This is going to be harder than I thought, starting to see why this hasn't been really nailed down.

Same lates/lien for both:

EX FICO 8: $151 -> $180 / $200 CL = -6

EQ FICO 8: $151 -> $180 / $200 CL = no change. 

Note: Discover rounded $180.11 -> $180.00 according to the Experian report.

This sucks: I'm pretty happy with both of these data points which strongly suggests there are different breakpoints between bureaus... going to need to test this more exhaustively than I thought.  I can reconfirm the 1/3 ratio on EQ FICO 8 being a breakpoint at least for my dirty scorecard, 3/9 now 5/15 both experienced drops on my file for number of revolving tradelines with balances.

I should be in the pretty cards with balances bin on all 3 bureaus now, I paid the Discover to $0 and requested a midcycle report, so will get $180 => 0 hopefully soonish.

Unfortunately EX is going sideways for this, got my tax lien off there and expecting to take an inquiry in January there too... it is likely I have shifted scorecards during this excursion and that may invalidate it.  TU bleh, I'm having trouble sorting what the monitoring solution saw when at this point.  Also need to figure out why I gained 6 points on EQ on 12/1, something shifted I just need to nail down what.

        
Message 21 of 25
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

For those of us less knowledgeable, can you explain exactly what this is about. I've read your post 3 or 4 times, but don't understand it.

Single tradeline utilization, and where the breakpoints are for at least FICO 8.  As CGID suggests there's been a lot of conventional wisdom that people are skeptical of (like the 30% on a single tradeline beings an issue).

Oddly enough, DW has 38% on a card (on top of 95% on a mortgage), and yet two of her three scores are 850. I can't make any sense of it (other than being skeptical of breakpoints).

Message 22 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

For those of us less knowledgeable, can you explain exactly what this is about. I've read your post 3 or 4 times, but don't understand it.

Single tradeline utilization, and where the breakpoints are for at least FICO 8.  As CGID suggests there's been a lot of conventional wisdom that people are skeptical of (like the 30% on a single tradeline beings an issue).

Oddly enough, DW has 38% on a card (on top of 95% on a mortgage), and yet two of her three scores are 850. I can't make any sense of it (other than being skeptical of breakpoints).

I missed her stats if you wouldn't mind sharing them.

My theory regarding 850's is it doesn't mean perfect file, you simply max out the scorecard; much like college, if you get a 93% or above you get a 4.0... no difference to your GPA between that and a 100% or even higher with extra credit.  I'm pretty interested in that 95% mortgage though, I had thought near max installment util would drop anyone from the lofty 850 pinnacle, and I'm absolutely confident breakpoints exist I just don't think we've had enough stringent testing (at least recently) to really find them.

I have old data on Equifax where I was running balances up to 73% and not seeing a problem, but I did have a drop at 93%.  Dirty file yadda yadda yadda but I've never been able to find the 30% individual tradeline or the 10% one that people keep bandying around, though I am absolutely confident on my file of a 10% line for aggregate, but it's much harder for me to test such things now.  To be fair I never found why people kept saying 1% either, much lower than that has always been fine and non-zero for me.  

I'm trying to nail down individual tradeline utilization though, unfortunately based on the last datapoint it's more complicated than I thought: I rather figured the metrics would be the same on all three bureaus, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  That sucks... but I'm hoping, hoping that after I get pretty for January I can do something like let 49% report and rule that out on all 3 bureaus and I suppose the data possibly gets better now that EX is likely on a different scorecard, and I'll have to retest next year too.  Long term project I guess.

        
Message 23 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

For the curious, reason codes!  For having a 90% individual tradeline utilization on Experian at some tiny aggregate.

FICO 8: silly MF interface

FICO 3: 3. You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

FICO 2: 3. You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

FICO 9: 4. You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

FICO 8 AU: nada

FICO 2 AU: 3. You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

FICO 9 AU: 4. You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

FICO 8 BC: nada

FICO 2 BC: 4. The amount owed on your revolving accounts is too high.

FICO 9 BC: 3. You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit

Missed payments and short credit history are the chart toppers across the board; recently looking for credit factors prominently too which is new after the tax lien was removed.  Also FICO 3 has 1. You opened a new credit account relatively recently., apparently it does exist haha.

Note there is a clear score shift on FICO 8 classic and I'm guessing on the industry options, but it just isn't enough to get it to make it into the top 4 which I'm a little surprised by.

        
Message 24 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Think I missed these before but looked at DCU / Nasa with the 75% individual utilization (151/200)

EQ FICO 5: 693 -> 684

EX FICO 2: 732 -> 727 (this was with the tax lien still on)

        
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.