Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Industry Based Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Industry Based Credit Score

Some time back I applied for an Auto loan from a credit union. They pulled my credit report/score from Experian and Equifax. The credit score they pulled was around 40 to 50 points less then what I see in my credit reports pulled from Experian and Equifax. I asked them why this difference. They told me they pulled a "industry based" credit score and what I see is a "consumer based" credit score. The industry based credit score is always less than consumer based credit score.

Now I'm not sure what is industry based credit score and where to get it from. Please shed some light on this "industry based" credit score.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Industry Based Credit Score

Where did you pull your EX and EQ scores from?
Message 2 of 8
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Some time back I applied for an Auto loan from a credit union. They pulled my credit report/score from Experian and Equifax. The credit score they pulled was around 40 to 50 points less then what I see in my credit reports pulled from Experian and Equifax. I asked them why this difference. They told me they pulled a "industry based" credit score and what I see is a "consumer based" credit score. The industry based credit score is always less than consumer based credit score.

Now I'm not sure what is industry based credit score and where to get it from. Please shed some light on this "industry based" credit score.

Perhaps they were talking about the Auto-enhanced FICO score, which is pretty similar to what we can buy here except it places greater weight on previous automotive loan history.  We cannot purchase this score, but I gather it can be higher or lower than what we pull here depending whether any automotive loan history is better or worse than the rest of a person's history.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

freecreditreport.com
Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

usanj wrote:
freecreditreport.com

Ah ha....that's why I asked. The scores from FCR.com are not FICO scores. They are fake scores we affectionably call "FAKOs". Specifically, that FAKO score was created by Experian and is called a PLUS score. I don't know of any lenders that even use or touch that score.

Try pulling your FICO scores (EQ and TU only available) and compare that way. It may be in line. There are industry specific FICO scores out there, including an auto-enhanced score. Your lender was probably referring to that. There's also others out there like CC-enhanced (PFICO) and a mortgage-enhanced score offered through EQ.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no such thing as an Equifax, Experian, or TU credit score.

There are only credit scores based on your EQ, EX, or TU credit reports.

There are literally hundreds of credit scores generated from those CRs.

The CRAs offer Vantage scores (so-called FAKOs) under their own scoring algorithms.

Even if you get a true FICO score, Fair Isaac markets dozens of different algorithms that produce different scores.  They market a different basic consumer scoring algorith to each CRA.  They market industry-specific algorithms for use by such lendors as auto loan credtiors and mortgage lendors.

You cant get industry-based scores from anyone other than the creditor who has purchased them from Fair Isaac.  They are not available to the public.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the posts.

So in a nut shell, which score is most common for dealing with Auto/Mortgage loan rates? I'm basically trying to lower my auto loan interest rate and am wondering on what basis should I negotiate. My credit report has improved since I got auto loan a year back. 

If I pull out FICO score then the bank will again tell me my industry based score! So there is no telling if I and bank are looking at the same score. I guess there is simply no single yard stick to measure a credit score. Thats absurd. Whats the point in wasting money on something which is not uniform across different institutions.

Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Credit unions (which are one of the best sources of auto financing) generally pull Equifax. Some use the auto-enhanced EQ FICO score; some go with the straight classic FICO score that you get here, which is called Beacon 5.0. You mentioned "bank", so of course, no telling what they're using.

I would just ask them what they pull. When they answer, I would then ask if it's the classic or the auto-enhanced score. If they've just been glib, this should make them drop back and check the actual score name.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 06-16-2009 03:57 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.