Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries 1 year old...

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Inquiries 1 year old...

I bought my car a year ago... 4/28/13.

I've read that supposedly all the inquiries count as one but I still have over a dozen on that date spread across the 3 CRA's.

I know they don't fall off till 2 years, but I've also read that they only count against you for 1 year.  That being said, should I expect to see a score increase in the coming days?

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Inquiries 1 year old...

Maybe, maybe not a few points at most.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I am quite curious how one year anniversaries of HP are calculated when applying for new credit. After one year do you still get heavy penalized on a fairly thin credit file?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I am quite curious how one year anniversaries of HP are calculated when applying for new credit. After one year do you still get heavy penalized on a fairly thin credit file?

Doesn't the FICO effect of a hard pull disappear after one year?

Individual lenders may put their own spin on things, of course.

Message 4 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Well I thought it doesn't effect your fico score, but if they do an HP I thought they see everything on the credit report,which would include HP from previous year.I am unsure that's why I asked here,maybe some of the experts would know 😀

Message 5 of 14
user5387
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Well I thought it doesn't effect your fico score, but if they do an HP I thought they see everything on the credit report,which would include HP from previous year.I am unsure that's why I asked here,maybe some of the experts would know 😀

Individual creditors may do a bunch of different things, and they can penalize you for a hard pull beyond one year if they so desire.

This is distinct from what FICO does.

Message 6 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the responses.  I'll update with any score changes in the coming week.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

Anyone registered here for a year shouldn't have a thin credit file... just sayin Smiley Happy.

+1 to user398432's commentary.

Re: original question: when my last two then scoreable inquiries fell off my Equifax report I gained 2 points on Beacon 5.0: minor in the extreme to near trivial.

        
Message 8 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Anyone registered here for a year shouldn't have a thin credit file... just sayin Smiley Happy.

Re: original question: when my last two then scoreable inquiries fell off my Equifax report I gained 2 points on Beacon 5.0: minor in the extreme to near trivial.

Ahh i see i am very curious if I should bother waiting for my one year anniversaries to hit or just go ahead and app now for amex fidelity and sallie mae. I have 8 HP on EX and 6 on TU right now. If i wait till sept all of the HP would reach one year anniversaries. Also am wondering when you apply for cc and they hard pull , are approvals done more by computers or do they have UW manually look thru your credit file ?

Message 9 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Ahh i see i am very curious if I should bother waiting for my one year anniversaries to hit or just go ahead and app now for amex fidelity and sallie mae. I have 8 HP on EX and 6 on TU right now. If i wait till sept all of the HP would reach one year anniversaries. Also am wondering when you apply for cc and they hard pull , are approvals done more by computers or do they have UW manually look thru your credit file ?

Depends on your file and score but generally if you're making a stretch, the cleaner the better and neither the Fidelity Amex nor the Sallie Mae card are going anywhere anytime soon.  That said since they're six months old they probably aren't hurting your score much, you might get better with your tradelines hitting a year FICO wise once the 12th reported payment lands.

Regarding approvals: that's so lender specific it's hard to make any real call either way, but if you get an instant approval with any lender it was likely computer underwriting as it would take too long to process manually; but others like the FIA underwritten Fidelity card, a lot of people report getting a 7-10 day message, and still getting approved afterwards - likely manual (human) underwrite.

I have a feeling most automatic underwriting happens when you're overqualified for a credit card's tier: to use a familiar example, if you could get a Chase Freedom on an instant, non-zero chance you could've gotten a CSP even if you'd wished which historically has required a higher credit strata to obtain.

        
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.