cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries Falling Off

tag
HArley

Inquiries Falling Off

How long does inquires stay on your report? Also I see that I  applied for credit for auto financing  with only one company  and several companies pulled my report.

Please help!!!!! Do I report to CB  that I in fact did not apply w/these companies? By the companies that I DID NOT apply directly with reporting that they pulled my report  causes addittional inquires  that counts against me.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inquiries Falling Off

Inqs stay on your report for 2 years.  But only the ones within the most recent 12 months count in your score.

For auto loans (and mortgages, but not credit cards), all inqs made within a 14-day period are supposed to count as a single inq.  So I wouldn't worry about it unless they fall outside that period.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

To allow one to car shop and house hunt, a group of inquiries within "a window of time" are supposed to not count against you in the way that a bunch of CC inquiries would. However, the argument is not persuasive to me. Inquiries are inquiries. Either hard or soft. Name, address and date. They aren't qualified as for a car loan, home loan, CC, or LOC at a Bed, Breakfast and Brothel.

All that said, EQ inquiries can get deleted with relative ease. EX is about impossible without serious intimidation or threat of lawsuit. TU is in the middle on the difficulty scale.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotta disagree, in principle.  All inquiries are not created equal.  Consumers should not be discouraged from rate shopping for car loans and mortgages; in fact I think the window should be longer.  But in the FICO mind-set if someone is suddenly applying for lots of CCs, there must be trouble brewin'.  Either the person is suddenly in doo-doo and needs more credit fast, or they are getting rejected everywhere they apply.  Clang clang clang go the FICO alarm bells.

I was unaware that BB&Bs extended LOCs.  Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's a human being looking at one's report, then I agree with you they are likely to consider the circumstance. 15-20 inquiries in a short window while one was car shopping is no biggie. Even spread out over 3 months, the home loan officer will be OK with the fact that one took 3 months to find the right car and the right deal, IMHO.

But built into the FICO scoring model? Not buying it. If the inquiry was qualified in some way on one's reports, with a high level category, or if some high level category were stored and not reported on the consumer's report, then OK.

How can FICO scoring possibly know the difference between 15 inquiries from car dealers and car loan fiance companies, versus 15 inquiries from CC companies?

BB&Bs offer a variety of services, or so I've been told. Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 14
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Noah_Bodie wrote:
If it's a human being looking at one's report, then I agree with you they are likely to consider the circumstance. 15-20 inquiries in a short window while one was car shopping is no biggie. Even spread out over 3 months, the home loan officer will be OK with the fact that one took 3 months to find the right car and the right deal, IMHO.

But built into the FICO scoring model? Not buying it. If the inquiry was qualified in some way on one's reports, with a high level category, or if some high level category were stored and not reported on the consumer's report, then OK.

How can FICO scoring possibly know the difference between 15 inquiries from car dealers and car loan fiance companies, versus 15 inquiries from CC companies?

BB&Bs offer a variety of services, or so I've been told. Smiley Wink

Its true. FICO knows somehow. I can only assume it has to do with the classification of the business or inquiry itself. Can't say for sure. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 14
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I've got a strange one. Scottrade is listed on my Equifax as both a hard and a soft pull. Both are listed on the same date.
Message 7 of 14
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
I've got a strange one. Scottrade is listed on my Equifax as both a hard and a soft pull. Both are listed on the same date.

That's not uncommon. You will usually see a soft for promotional reasons, then the hard once you take the bait. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 14
iignatii
Valued Member

How do you delete inquiries from EQ and TU
Message 9 of 14
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

iignatii wrote:
How do you delete inquiries from EQ and TU

Wait two years.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.