Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Inquiries Question

I don't know how to express how I appreciate everyone's input to my questions and inquiries.  Can anyone tell me where all these written/unwritten rules are located?  I think I'm headed in the right direction from my speculations in my previous posts, but maybe there is something else I can do or look out for, maybe...?!?!  I'd like to be headed in the right direction to get my scores up.  750Lady
Message 11 of 47
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@LynetteM wrote:

Yes...it can be a manual read...or, it can be computerized. The 1-year rule on inquiries speaks to FICO scoring only. That doesn't mean creditors don't count how many times you've sought credit in the past two years (as opposed to just one year). Creditors can count inquiries any way they please.

Also, this same scenario can apply to mortgage and auto inquiries. Just because FICO counts them as one if they are done within a certain timeframe, that doesn't mean your future creditors will do likewise.

I think it's prudent to watch how many inquiries are on your reports for the full two years.

That all makes sense. Even to me. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 47
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

750Lady wrote: 
Can anyone tell me where all these written/unwritten rules are located? 

If you're lucky, you'll find this information in a forum like this Smiley Happy but I'm not sure there is a "manual" that will give any specific number or exact information. I've read posts on here where people have had dozens of INQ and been granted good credit. I just thought you should be aware that the one year rule applies to FICO scoring only. Many creditors I'm sure have an algorithm that puts more emphasis on those less than a year old, yet still look at those between one and two years as well - the score is not only important thing. In other words if you and I both have a 705 FICO, and I have 10 inquiries that are over a year old, where you have none, chances are you'll be looked at as a better credit risk... Just keep that in mind - they are still on your report even though FICO doesn't score them.

Another of my favorites peeves is the information provided on here about credit card usage. It's spread as common knowledge on here, that plain and simple, "let only one card report a balance that is around 1% of your total revolving credit" for optimal FICO scoring - as if nothing else matters. Well, I think that is only partly true - and that there are many other complicated factors involved, such as type of usage, how long since you've used a particular type, how high your past balances have been (utility), etc., etc. And, I think your score reflects this and not just your current utility usage, but noboby knows the FICO formula so they just say the old, "let one card report 1%...".  Whew, I got a little long-winded there Smiley Happy

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 13 of 47
smallfry
Senior Contributor

As far as utilization goes FICO scoring has no memory. Your CCC might.
Message 14 of 47
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@bigtim wrote:

Another of my favorites peeves is the information provided on here about credit card usage. It's spread as common knowledge on here, that plain and simple, "let only one card report a balance that is around 1% of your total revolving credit" for optimal FICO scoring - as if nothing else matters. Well, I think that is only partly true - and that there are many other complicated factors involved, such as type of usage, how long since you've used a particular type, how high your past balances have been (utility), etc., etc. And, I think your score reflects this and not just your current utility usage, but noboby knows the FICO formula so they just say the old, "let one card report 1%...".  Whew, I got a little long-winded there Smiley Happy

None of the things you cited above are factors in FICO scoring. The general UTIL advice given here is correct.

Message 15 of 47
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@bigtim wrote:

None of the things you cited above are factors in FICO scoring. The general UTIL advice given here is correct.

I don't believe it. It is simply not possible that if you and I have the EXACT same credit profile and we have the exact revolving accounts, a mix of bank, store, gas accounts etc, and for the past two years you have used your accounts periodically and wisely, paid them off, etc., and I never used one account, and now come Feb., we both show a small balance on the one same account, that we will have the same score - impossible. You have proven your ability to manage different types of credit recently, where I have not. How on earth would we be equal? FICO would have gone broke a long time ago if this were the case. If you ever get a chance to get a look at the algo, I would bet my life there were more complicated factors than the 1%, 1 account reporting theory...

Recent Cards:
Message 16 of 47
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, you mistate the general advice. To be clear on the matter I repeat it here:

Optimal credit utilization for FICO scoring purposes is:

• Total revolving utilization > 0 and <= 9%, the lower the better, and
  • Reporting a balance on less than half of your revolving TL's, and
  • Reporting a balance on half or less of all TL's.

Anyway you get there is fair game. You only need have one revolving TL report a balance.

A few individuals find they can tweak one of their FICO scores at the expense of another. This is generally those with more established (older, wider) credit files.

There are many other components to FICO score - We're only talking about revolving UTIL here - This rule of thumb regarding UTIL is correct.

Message 17 of 47
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

But I'm not disputing the utility factor in itself. I will repeat my stance. I said that there are more complicated factors involved in the FICO score than simply utility, when it comes to revolving accounts - such as type of useage, time since usage, etc. You replied, "None of the things you cited above are factors in FICO scoring."  That I disagree with.

Recent Cards:
Message 18 of 47
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

None of the things I highlighted in red in your previous statement are a factor in FICO scoring. FICO UTIL does not have a memory. It is pure timeslice.
Message 19 of 47
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
None of the things I highlighted in red in your previous statement are a factor in FICO scoring.

Yeah, I got that already and responded directly to it - I disagree (see above).

Recent Cards:
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.