Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries affecting score

tag
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Inquiries affecting score

I know that inquiries stay on your report for 2 years, but do they affect your score for 1 or 2 years? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Inquiries affecting score

@kal9988 wrote:

I know that inquiries stay on your report for 2 years, but do they affect your score for 1 or 2 years? 

1 year for scoring but remember that lenders can still get nervous when they see multiple inquiries over a short period of time. They might and do wonder why a person would apply for so much credit. I realize there are exceptions for auto loans and mortgages.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 4
kal9988
Regular Contributor

On my EX, I have 10 inquires, 5 of which were in the past year. On EQ I have 3 (none in the past year), and on TU I have 2 (none in the past year). The EX is worrying me though.

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@kal9988 wrote:

On my EX, I have 10 inquires, 5 of which were in the past year. On EQ I have 3 (none in the past year), and on TU I have 2 (none in the past year). The EX is worrying me though.

At one point I had over 30 (yes, 30) on EX and all were less than a year old. Not once during that time was I denied for new credit due to the number of inquiries reporting. I was approved for CCs without issue (that all I applied for then). I wouldn't worry about it. Inquiry damage is overrated.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.