Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Question

tag
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Inquiry Question

I know they say that when shopping a loan the inquiries in the given timeframe are counted as a single inquiry for scoring purposes.  My question is since the CRA's only report the total number of inquiries, is there a way to validate how they are being counted for scoring?

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Inquiry Question

@KellyP25721 wrote:

I know they say that when shopping a loan the inquiries in the given timeframe are counted as a single inquiry for scoring purposes.  My question is since the CRA's only report the total number of inquiries, is there a way to validate how they are being counted for scoring?

I believe you would look to the type (coding) of inquiry (credit card, finance, auto, mortgage).

Message 2 of 4
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@KellyP25721 wrote:

I believe you would look to the type (coding) of inquiry (credit card, finance, auto, mortgage).

gdale has it right. While I know of no way to VERIFY that your scoring is being adjusted properly, if all those loan inquiries are coded properly as mortgage, auto, etc. then you can ASSUME you're being scored correctly.

Message 3 of 4
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!  Of cours I have 7 inquiries from buying a car and they are split between, Finance (3), Credit Union(2), Auto (1) and Credit Card (1).  So not horrible, but definitely not counting as 1.  Not sure it's worth the effort of contact them to try getting them changed.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.