Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry bumps score?

tag
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Inquiry bumps score?

Well,  it seems the more I read,  the more I try to analyze,  the longer I am here,  the less I wind up knowing about scoring.  I think we all expect a drop in scores when we apply for a  card.  I just applied yesterday for a Venture,  was approved,  and was waiting for the alerts  to come in dropping my score below 800.  Today I receive an alert from  myfico telling me that my Ex report  has a new  Cap one inquiry and my score has changed from 806 to 808.  I had to read that a couple of times.  Anyway,  I am very happy  that I got a bump from the inquiry and not a hit.  I am sure it will be short lived however when a  "new account"  is noted.  I won't try to figure out scoring anymore,  it's just not possible.  Just thought I would share part of the outcome with my new Venture app with you all. 

Update:  Just got an alert today,  ( 4-18 ),  from myfico,  that my EQ just reported an inquiry  from Capone,  and there was no change in my score.  so far so good.  Smiley Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Inquiry bumps score?

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

Well,  it seems the more I read,  the more I try to analyze,  the longer I am here,  the less I wind up knowing about scoring.  I think we all expect a drop in scores when we apply for a  card.  I just applied yesterday for a Venture,  was approved,  and was waiting for the alerts  to come in dropping my score below 800.  Today I receive an alert from  myfico telling me that my Ex report  has a new  Cap one inquiry and my score has changed from 806 to 808.  I had to read that a couple of times.  Anyway,  I am very happy  that I got a bump from the inquiry and not a hit.  I am sure it will be short lived however when a  "new account"  is noted.  I won't try to figure out scoring anymore,  it's just not possible.  Just thought I would share part of the outcome with my new Venture app with you all. 

The inquiry is just the trigger for the update and not the cause of rise. The net result of things changed in your reports overcame the loss of points the inq caused.

Message 2 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

Join the club HR!  Smiley Happy

I long ago stopped thinking about the "why" of all this and just concentrate on doing the right things.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

The inquiry is just the trigger for the update and not the cause of rise. The net result of things changed in your reports overcame the loss of points the inq caused.

If you had a nickel for everytime you had to post that...  haha

Message 4 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I long ago stopped thinking about the "why" of all this and just concentrate on doing the right things.

oh...but it is so much fun to investigate the Fico algorithm Smiley Happy  and very interesting if you all the sudden realize what actually did the trigger. I think I would cancel SW if I would loose interest in finding out what did trigger a score change especially if the alert is not showing the main reason. ... ha ha

Message 5 of 11
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

M V V,  God knows I love those scores you have.  Smiley Happy  Hope I can get their some day. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 6 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

M V V,  God knows I love those scores you have.  Smiley Happy  Hope I can get their some day. 

You're not that far away HR.

You should be very proud that your hard work has resulted in all 800's.

Message 7 of 11
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

You're not that far away HR.

You should be very proud that your hard work has resulted in all 800's.

M V V,  yes I am proud of my 800 scores,  but 850 across the board blows my mind.   That,  my friend,  is unbelievable.  A big congrats to you. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 8 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure if I pulled today that none of them would be still pegged out. That's just the way scoring goes.

From time to time someone will accuse me of somehow photoshopping those pictures but I can't do anything about that.

Message 9 of 11
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I'm pretty sure if I pulled today that none of them would be still pegged out. That's just the way scoring goes.

From time to time someone will accuse me of somehow photoshopping those pictures but I can't do anything about that.

I don't  think I would ever pull my credit reports again if I had those scores.  I would not want to see a drop of one point,  it would kill me. Smiley Very Happy   As far as someone accusing you of photoshopping those scores,  that  would be about as rude as they could get.   I think those people figure that it is an impossible thing for them to do,  so they figure it is would be impossible for you to do,  and that is pretty shallow thinking on  their part.  So,  I wouldn't worry about what they thought and just be proud of  what you have accomplished. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.