Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry increased score?

tag
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Inquiry increased score?

Hi everyone,

I received a SW alert back on 02/12/12 regarding an inquiry that was made (and a hard pull of my credit) for a security alarm system I had installed in my home (that they didn't mention anything about pulling my CR, much less a hard pull). Anyway, my score actually went UP 2 points? I kept thinking it would go back down after a few weeks but the last 2 SW alerts I've received had "no changes". I thought inquiries knocked off a few points? I know sometimes when you dispute items on your CR your score can increase, but never noticed an increase after an inquiry. Definitely not complaining, just confused!

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Inquiry increased score?

Your increase could have been due to something else. We get ScoreWatch alerts telling us that something has changed in our report....in your case, an inquiry.

It doesn't say that the increase or decrease in score is due to whatever change was reported. Could well have been something else that happened in the past couple of days/weeks.

Message 2 of 12
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Score Watch® alert February 12, 2012
View details of other recent alerts:
2/12/20121/25/201212/29/201112/28/201112/9/201112/4/201111/6/201111/5/201110/29/201110/26/201110/19/201110/13/201110/11/201110/8/20119/15/2011
Alert:Applying for new credit has added an inquiry to your credit report
Score Watch alert/Changes to your FICO® Score
 Your FICO® score has gone up to 651 on February 12, 2012.

This is the only thing I have done since my home loan and 2 cards back in early December. I'm pretty sure it's due to the inquiry because nothing else happened during that time except the balance increased on one of my cards. 

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 3 of 12
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

As Jazzzy stated, it likely was something else. It could simply be from the aging of the items in your report. Your other inquires, as well as all of your accounts have aged between the two SW alerts. Your score probably went up more than the 2 points from some other event which did not trigger a SW alert, then when the new inquiry hit your score dropped or stayed the same.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@OhioCPA wrote:

As Jazzzy stated, it likely was something else. It could simply be from the aging of the items in your report. Your other inquires, as well as all of your accounts have aged between the two SW alerts. Your score probably went up more than the 2 points from some other event which did not trigger a SW alert, then when the new inquiry hit your score dropped or stayed the same.

+1.  Either decreased utilization on your reports or increased age made your score go up.   Sorry, but inquiries can't increase your score, although I certainly wish they did.  Cat Tongue

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

+2.

Something else caused the change. Don't assume that if you get an alert for one event, then that score change was a direct result of that event. There could have been a half-dozen things going on within your report that caused the change resulting in the net increase.

When I first subscribed, I got an alert for a 20 point increase due to an inquiry and thought that it was so. It was a baddie falling off that SW doesn't pick up on that caused the 20 gain.

Message 6 of 12
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for all of the replies! Sorry jazz, didn't realize how rude that came across on my response...I didn't mean for it to come across that way. I didn't think inquiries could increase your score but still can't figure out what else would have caused the change! Oh well, I'll take a 2 point score increase and an inquiry that didn't make an impact anyday!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

+2.

Something else caused the change. Don't assume that if you get an alert for one event, then that score change was a direct result of that event. There could have been a half-dozen things going on within your report that caused the change resulting in the net increase.

When I first subscribed, I got an alert for a 20 point increase due to an inquiry and thought that it was so. It was a baddie falling off that SW doesn't pick up on that caused the 20 gain.

+3

Whatever caused the increase, Congratulations, any increase, be it 2 points or 15 points is a good thing.

Congrats again.

Message 8 of 12
Tanafied
Established Member

Interesting...I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. According to SW, my score went up after a 2+ increase from a hard pull. I'm trying to finance a house, trying to stay positive and praying ernestly, but I still think it's a little too soon.

Message 9 of 12
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

@RW771 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I received a SW alert back on 02/12/12 regarding an inquiry that was made (and a hard pull of my credit) for a security alarm system I had installed in my home (that they didn't mention anything about pulling my CR, much less a hard pull). Anyway, my score actually went UP 2 points? I kept thinking it would go back down after a few weeks but the last 2 SW alerts I've received had "no changes". I thought inquiries knocked off a few points? I know sometimes when you dispute items on your CR your score can increase, but never noticed an increase after an inquiry. Definitely not complaining, just confused!

Commenting here only on the inquiry, not the change in your score.  I'm always sensitive to unwarranted INQs and wonder about your experience.  This was just for having the alarm system installed?  Or did you finance the cost of the installation, or sign up for a monitoring service to go with the alarm? 

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.