Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Account Question - Student Loans' Affect on FICO Score

tag
JVnyc
Established Member

Installment Account Question - Student Loans' Affect on FICO Score

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out here.

Basic question - does a studen loan balance affect your FICO score?  It seems the utilization % piece of the score only includes revolving account like credit cards.  Does that mean things like student loans are not factored in?  Obviously late payments and stuff like that on the student loan would surely affect your score, but I am curious if the balance plays any part.

Long story short, would paying of the student loan (or paying it way down) have any positive affect on my scores?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Installment Account Question - Student Loans' Affect on FICO Score

I tend to believe they affect scores very minimally. I've paid some balances down with no increase. (Everything else being the same ... no changes). It may not help your score, but it's always nice to get debt paid down!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
JVnyc
Established Member

Re: Installment Account Question - Student Loans' Affect on FICO Score

Thanks!

Agreed, always good to get debt paid down.  But maybe better to have that money available as part of a downpayment.  Expecially if paying it down won't help my score.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.