Regular Contributor
laila08

Installment Loan vs. Credit Card Debt

Hi everyone I was just wondering what would be the better move in this scenario to improve a fico score:

CC: CL=10000.00 /BAL=9800.00 interest rate 7.0% Monthly payment= 160.00
INSTALLMENT LOAN: 3900.00 interest rate 20.9% Monthly payment= 135.00

3800.00 cash available to put towards these debts

I have always heard that it was smarter to pay the items with the highest interest rate first but how does that factor into your credit score? Would it help your score immensely to get that UTIL down to 30% and continue to pay the installment loan or vise versa?

apping spree or shopping spree...lesser of 2 evils???hmmm
Mega Contributor
RobertEG

Re: Installment Loan vs. Credit Card Debt

These being the only two factors, and interest considerations aside, paying down your revolving %util from 98% to 60% will give you a much higher increase in FICO score than paying down the install %util.  Revolving %util has a much more negative effect when it approaches maxing out than does install %util.
Regular Contributor
laila08

Re: Installment Loan vs. Credit Card Debt

Thank for the relpy i was just curious about installment loans verses CC debt. I know fico sees them differantly and wasn't sure which one had more impact on the score.
apping spree or shopping spree...lesser of 2 evils???hmmm

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}