Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment loan reporting

tag
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Installment loan reporting

If someone were to take out a 60 month auto loan, make double payments and pay it off in 30 months' would it report as "paid as agreed" for 60 months' or just the 30 it took to pay it off?
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Installment loan reporting

I am looking at a TU report for a closed installment loan, that was paid off early, and it has:

Account Status: Closed

Payment Status: Paid or paying as agreed

I would not assume that such a loan will remain open, or that a monthly "OK" box will continue to show up.

Message 2 of 5
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

That's what I thought but it never hurts to ask.

How much of a negative impact would your fico take if you left a minuscule balance ride on a %0 loan just to milk the reporting?

Or would it be more beneficial to have a loan showing as paid off early in the case of a manual review?
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 3 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

@7PM789 wrote:

How much of a negative impact would your fico take if you left a minuscule balance ride on a %0 loan just to milk the reporting?

Or would it be more beneficial to have a loan showing as paid off early in the case of a manual review?

A rule of thumb is that an open installment loan benefits your scores a bit.

There are some inherent downsides, for example interest issues, DTI issues, and the effort required to maintain the loan in good standing.

So you have to weigh the pros and cons and make a choice.

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@7PM789 wrote:

Underwriting is the one place we have to presuppose competence when it comes to reviewing a credit report.  I simply make the assumption they're as sophisticated as I am when it comes to analyzing a report... and I can spot FICO reindeer games easily on a credit report, likely because I play them.

To be brutally honest, I milk my tradelines whenever possible: on an installment loan, I absolutely do this when I can if the resultant interest is trivial to me.  I don't mind having the conversation if it comes up with an underwriter, but other than my applications for a couple trivial secured loans, it's never come up.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.