Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment loan utilization in mortgage scores

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Installment loan utilization in mortgage scores

Going from 89% installment utilization to 8.9%, which caused 31 and 37 point gains in FICO 8, meant zero point change in EX FICO 2 and a 13 point gain in TU FICO 4.

Unfortunately I have no data on what the change would have been in EQ FICO 5 because the larger percentage was never reported in the Equifax report.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installment loan utilization in mortgage scores

Interesting that these different FICO models can be so vastly different.  I get it that one model may show a 30 point change and another a 10 point change, but to see a zero point change on a model compared to a 30+ point change is somewhat surprising. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When my student loans were consolidated, I went from 100% utilization to 0% and lost 11-13 points across the board on my mortgage scores. When the new accounts were added which put me back at 100% utilization, I saw a slight increase across the board on mortgage scores. Can't remember the range, but it was no more than 10 points. 

Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting that these different FICO models can be so vastly different.  I get it that one model may show a 30 point change and another a 10 point change, but to see a zero point change on a model compared to a 30+ point change is somewhat surprising. 

Some of the models showed a 50-point gain:

EX Auto 8 +58

EX Bankcard 8 +56

TU Bankcard 8 +50

TU Auto 8 +46

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surprised by the Bankcard score increases, as that model is supposed to be most sensitive to revolver utilization.  Interesting that it also seems quite volatile to installment loan utilization.  I'd expect that from the Auto scores, but not the Bankcard scores.  Good information!

Message 5 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Installment utilization does factor into EX FICO 2.  It does not in FICO 04 (TU FICO 4 / EQ FICO 5).

Gory Theory:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/...

        
Message 6 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Installment utilization does factor into EX FICO 2.  It does not in FICO 04 (TU FICO 4 / EQ FICO 5).

Gory Theory:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/...

Well you won't convince me of either prong of that statement. I dropped installment utilization from 89% to 8.9%, causing EX FICO 8 to go up 31 points, and TU FICO 8 to go up 37 points, while the effect on mortgage scores was as follows:

'

EX FICO 2 didn't budge a single point

TU FICO 4 did go up 13 points

I have no data on what EQ FICO 5 would have done.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.