Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment or Revolving?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Installment or Revolving?

I have a high debt ratio but have the opportunity to bring that ratio more in line with an upcoming lump sum payment. Is it more favorable as far as the credit score is concerned to pay down my installment loans or revolving charges? Is it best to do this at once or preferred over a few months?

I still have work to do to bring my score up after the lump sum payment as I can not pay down all the debt but with the help of this forum and concentration I know it will happen

Thanks in advance for any and all help
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Installment or Revolving?

Personal opinion - pay off revolving.  It is nearly always the highest APR and high revolving creit balances are a score killer
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 4
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Hey doxydawg, welcome to the forum. If you haven't already, please read credit scoring 101 (helps tons) and other "stickied" threads. As MV said, revolving (much more risky type of credit-unsecured), so potential reward, for using it the way they want to see it used, is greater.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, pay it all at once. There is no need to spread it out.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.