cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment vs revolving - How will this effect my score???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Installment vs revolving - How will this effect my score???

I have about 25k in revolving debt. I am curiuos if I have the chance to get a 25k loan and use that to pay off my debt, how does that effect my scores.  Also will this effect my ablility to get a car loan in the near future by moving from revolving to installment?

BTW: My scores are in the low 7's

Dennis
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Installment vs revolving - How will this effect my score???

Hi rocket, welcome to the forums. Please read credit scoring 101 if you haven't already done so.

IMO, an amount that large is likely going to require some collateral. Do you have something that will cover that amount?

To answer your question though, it will help your scores, if you keep the accounts open and only allow an absurdly low uti % to report (like 1% or something).

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have about 25k in revolving debt. I am curiuos if I have the chance to get a 25k loan and use that to pay off my debt, how does that effect my scores. Also will this effect my ablility to get a car loan in the near future by moving from revolving to installment?
BTW: My scores are in the low 7's
Dennis

It depends on what percentage UTL the $25k is? Please post your total available revolving credit limits so we can determine your UTL % to total credit. Opening a new installments can drop your score 10-30 points in the short term. So the gain would have to out weigh the loss. Best bet is to not apply for a loan and pay revolving debt down. Smiley Embarassed
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my total avaliable credit is about 57,000.  That would make it like 44%.  right?
Message 4 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Right rocket. I am saying that you will see an increase. Geez, the only way you wouldn't see an increase is if you had over $277M in avail credit and that $25M were your only outstanding CL.

Again, you are likely going to need some collateral for an installment loan of this size.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I secured the loan and paid off every single credit card I own.  Cut them up and I am done with them. (I did leave one, just in case of emergency, but its put away)
Message 6 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Rocket, if you haven't closed those cards, don't. They are helping your score to be on your report. They stay on for up to 10 years from closing date. If they never close...

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, I was not planning on closing them, I'm new to the forum but not new to the credit score game. Thanks for your advice though,
Message 8 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Cool. GL

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

rocketpop - Cutting the cards up but not closing them is much better than closing them.   But I would use a couple every few months, even to buy gas or something small.    FICO does consider recent use of revolving credit when calculating your score, so you will want some recent usage.

The other issue is that some card issuers close accounts on their own if no usage occurs for a period of time - worst offender is HSBC (closed by 12 year account after 3 months of inactivity without so much as a warning!).  You may be ok for awhile, but eventually the inactivity may result in their closing the account.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.