Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance companies inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Insurance companies inquiries

I was informed by an insurance company that they will run my credit in order to give me a quote on car insurance.
Do insurance companies inquiries count as credit inquiries as far as the FICO score?
Do they affect my score?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Insurance companies inquiries

They are generally soft inqs which do not impact your scores. Check out the Scoring 101 thread.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to be on the safe side, I checked with Equifax directly. 
They informed me that an inquiry by an insurance company counts the same as any credit inquiry.
Message 3 of 12
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

Porscheturboman wrote:
Just to be on the safe side, I checked with Equifax directly. 
They informed me that an inquiry by an insurance company counts the same as any credit inquiry.

For the record, I've never had a hard pull from any insurance company - always a soft pull that doesn't affect the score. If in doubt, ask the insurance company, they'll tell you!

Maybe someone from the insurance biz will chime in here, but there is no reason for them to check credit with a hard inquiry; they're not actually extending credit, they're only checking for predictive claim probabilities.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Porscheturboman wrote:

EQ doesn't know squat about FICO scoring. They are just the monkeys who store the data. I daresay no one at EQ couldn't find out your FICO score if they wanted to--at least not legally.

Insurance is almost always a soft pull so it will not affect your credit score.

Are you checking your CRs thru any online service? TrueCredit, ScoreWatch, CreditExpert, etc. If so, then once the inquiry hits, you can check yourself and see whether it's a hard or soft pull.
Message 5 of 12
m_jonis
Contributor

Liberty Mutual inquiries for insurance DO count as a hard pull

I just got dinged one point because they did a hard pull when shopping for auto insurance.

Finally made it to 813
Message 6 of 12
Established Contributor

Hartford pulls hard

for the initial app.

Subsequent apps are soft.

Message 7 of 12
lil_bo_peep
Valued Member

I know that Farmers insurance does not pull a hard inquiry only soft and its almost always Transunion....this is in AL.

lil_bo 

Just a little reminder.....sometimes these boards get a little confusing but we are all here to help each other not make things more difficult, you can only Do what's right for YOU, not what everyone else thinks is right for you! Love you guys!!! Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 12
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

Allstate countrywide only soft pulls (I work for an agent)

I requote my auto every 6 months with at least 3 companies to see how competetive we are (or are not!) and in the past year I have been soft pulled by Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Prudential, State Farm, Columbia and Geico.  Never had an insurance Hard Pull.

Message 9 of 12
Established Contributor

@smo65d11 wrote:

Allstate countrywide only soft pulls (I work for an agent)

I requote my auto every 6 months with at least 3 companies to see how competitive we are (or are not!) and in the past year I have been soft pulled by Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Prudential, State Farm, Columbia and Geico.  Never had an insurance Hard Pull.

That is very useful information.

I might actually do some insurance rate shopping. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.