smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Interview with Fair Isaac scoring expert

Just 2 bankcards huh?
Message 31 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does it know whether I own or rent? That's not on my reports, as best as I can tell. A lender would know, but not FICO.

I was not joking with Noah yesterday about his 5 points for updating his address. They geocode the address-
Message 32 of 34
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd like to see some evidence that this is current and correct...

I'm pretty skeptical that a cash register CC app with a thumbs up or down in 20 seconds is pulling all this. Maybe it is, but I'd like to see where. I can't even get all three CRA's to update an account that posted on EX back on 10/4.

If it is, then consumers need to find out how their addresses, rent vs own, job histories, banking usage, etc are verified. I know people with a dozen or more separate banking accounts. I think they're nuts, but there you are. Who's to say that all of these accounts are known to whichever collection of electrons are being reviewed in the FICO score model?

Someone go stir up Barry, please. This needs clarification.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 33 of 34
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One thing that always must be recognized.  FICO is a generic credit model score, meaning that it is not tailored to specific applicant details, or specific market history.  Yeah, it tries to narrow down the comparison against all peoples populating the credit world by creating their "buckets," but these are still not market-specific.  It is just the starting point for any lender, and their decision process.  FICO is a generic score model that is intended to be quick and up to date for quick decisions by those who choose to rely upon it, but it inherently ignores many important factors that cannot be monitored by the credit bureaus on a month to month basis. While some creditors, such as entry CCs, may give it high importance, it shrivels in importance when seeking any lender-specific type of credit, particularly if it is non-revolving, such as mortgage or auto.  Any major lendor has their own separate model to assess a "good/bad" risk decision.  They typically use decison-based models that first separate applicants according to categories not even considered in FICO modeling, such as residential status (rentor, home-owner, or living with mamma), income, debt to income, age, prior history on loan-specific accounts for their own market, such as mortagages or auto loans (hence, "auto-enhanced" scores), and other equity.   No lender equates FICO, in and of itself, as the criterion for a good/bad lending decision, and neither would I. So asking what FICO one needs for this or that loan or credit approval is only a general question that cannot be answered on this forum, but only by the credit lender.  Period.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-27-2007 11:31 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-27-2007 11:33 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-27-2007 11:37 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-27-2007 11:41 PM
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.