cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It True That Too Many Store Credit Cards Lower Credit Scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is It True That Too Many Store Credit Cards Lower Credit Scores?

I've heard that having too many store credit cards vs bank credit cards on one's credit profile will lower credit score. I have 6 bank credit cards and 3 store credit cards (J. Crew, Banana Republic, and Amazon [Synchrony])

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Is It True That Too Many Store Credit Cards Lower Credit Scores?

No. The Fico scoring looks at them all the same, measuring utilization vs limits given. Your scoring will react the same either way.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
No. The Fico scoring looks at them all the same, measuring utilization vs limits given. Your scoring will react the same either way.

Youtube, "7 Secrets of a Perfect 850 Credit Score!" which Dave Sullivan has to say*, ""The other thing that I've seen on credit scores that weren't quite perfect. They had a few store type credit cards that FICO does not give you as many points for those and one of the factors that this 830 credit score, one of the reasons why that wasn't perfect is because they had a few store credit cards that listed that reason out right in the reason code area as, "too many store credit cards," as the reason why they were not perfect."

*Starts at 1:55

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

He also says you need to have at least one 30+ year old bank card to get a perfect score, so his credibility is in question right off the bat.  Also, how many is too many?  One?  Ten? 

Message 4 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

There were negative reason codes for Retail Cards in FICO NextGen, but so were a lot of other things which seemingly got yanked out on FICO 04 and later.

I don't think there's such a thing currently, I wouldn't worry about it regardless personally if the store card makes sense to have.

        
Message 5 of 9
iv
Valued Contributor

On Lexis/Nexis insurance scores? Yes.

Current FICO models? No.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

He also says you need to have at least one 30+ year old bank card to get a perfect score, so his credibility is in question right off the bat.  Also, how many is too many?  One?  Ten? 

Yeah that's definitely not the case. My father has 850s across the board and his oldest card still reporting is only 9 years old. He's got a thick, aged perfect file (so jealous!) and even the inquiry he took recently didn't even ding him a point. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The question is whether or not anyone possesses an 850 credit score with store cards as part of their profile.  If they do, then it shows that store cards vs non-store is really a meaningless topic.

Message 8 of 9
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Many posters with 850s have store cards. Not sure of any 850s with only store cards.

The credit world is bigger than Fico.

As IV mentioned above, store cards will negatively impact LexisNexis credit based insurance scores (CBIS). A large majority of insurance companies use CBIS as a component in setting premiums and a most of those agencies use scores from LexisNexis.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.