cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an account still new if you close it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is an account still new if you close it?

If you factor out average age loss...
Assuming this was the only new account in 12 months...

My FICO will be hit for
-10 points because it is less than 2 months old.
-10 because it is less than 12 months old.
------------------------------------------------
-20 points total loss

Or do I have this wrong. Is a new account only hit for -10 points for the first 2 months? I'm considering taking on a new account. If I change my mind I was wondering if I could just close it and regain all lost points. I'm pulling at straws to raise scores now. Trying new things. Wondering if I can bail out (close the account) if FICO doesn't like it. Thank you for info. Smiley Happy I wasn't sure if their was a score drop under 12 months.

Was it?
-10 for inq.
-10 for newer than 2 months
-10 for newer than 12 months
or
-20 for inq

Too much going on in past 6 months to find this answer. I should know it... Just not sure. Thanks. This would really help my next decision tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-01-2007 08:01 PM
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is an account still new if you close it?

You should invent the "MyFico Board Game" and sell it to FICO and Milton Bradley.

I say ASK ilovepizza
Message 2 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

A new account is one less than 12 months old, it doesn't matter if it's open or closed.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. One more question. A bit mixed up. If someone has no inqs and no new accounts. A new account would do?

Was it?
A.
-10 for inq.
-10 for newer than 12 months

or

B.
-20 for inq

Thanks again. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Where are you getting these numbers? If you give more info I can guess. What are your FICO scores, how thick is your credit file, what's your mix, avail credit to util on CCs, installments, baddies, length of history, average age of accounts, inqs???
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-05-2007 02:58 PM
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:
Where are you getting these numbers? If you give more info I can guess. What are your FICO scores, how thick is your credit file, what's your mix, avail credit to util on CCs, installments, baddies, length of history, average age of accounts, inqs???

I just loose 30 points for new accounts when nothing else is new. Wasn't sure if it was heavier on the inq or accounts.

What happens is, inq + account less than 2 months = 30
Then I get back 10 points after 2 months and 10 points back after 12 months.

Somewhere along the line I loose 10 and gain 10. Wasn't sure if it was the inq. Wait. I can test this right now. BRB.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

somebody stop him i smell an app happening!
Message 8 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@fused wrote:

I just loose 30 points for new accounts when nothing else is new. Wasn't sure if it was heavier on the inq or accounts.

What happens is, inq + account less than 2 months = 30
Then I get back 10 points after 2 months and 10 points back after 12 months.

Somewhere along the line I loose 10 and gain 10. Wasn't sure if it was the inq. Wait. I can test this right now. BRB.

There is no way to know exactly how many points you stand to gain or lose with any change on your reports. I will say those with higher scores tend to take bigger hits for new inqs and accounts versus someone who in the 620 club.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-05-2007 02:59 PM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.