cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is closed account included in Types of Credit Used?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is closed account included in Types of Credit Used?

@jello77 wrote:

I have been checking on other credit-related web sites and forums for more information about this question of whether closed accounts are included in the "Types of Credit" part of your score.

What I found is confusing and contradictory.

On one hand, I have found many examples of people saying that after they paid off an auto or installment loan, their score took a large drop, which would imply that closed accounts do NOT count as part of your credit "mix." 

Here is one example of this:

"Last week, I paid off my auto loan. This week, my FICO score dropped 60 points.There have been NO other changes to my credit report."

Here is another statement that implies the same thing:

"In a CMAC course-on-CD I listened to, recently, they said that a good credit report and score must have 1 mortgage, 1 installment loan (automobile, etc.), and 2 credit cards on it. All had to still be ‘active’ in order to boost your score."

On the other hand, I found this article on bankrate.com quoting a FICO manager that implies just the opposite. Here are the two key quotes from the article:

"Barry Paperno, the consumer operations manager at FICO ... walked me through the effect that account closures can have on the five factors that comprise your FICO score."

"The factor that considers types of credit used includes both open and closed accounts."

So we are left with a mystery. A FICO manager says closed accounts are included in your types of credit mix. But how can we explain why so many people say paying off auto and other installment loans causes a drop in score? When a revolving credit account is closed, a drop in score often results because the credit limit for the closed account is no longer included in the utilization factor, causing the utilization rate to increase. But auto and installment loans are not included in the utilization rate, so that could not be the reason for a drop in score when the loan is paid off.

Has anyone here ever paid off an auto or installment loan and found that their score did NOT drop?

Hi jello77,

No mystery here. And thanks for posting the link to the article quoting Barry.  If Barry gives you FICO information, the debate is over.  You have it right from the horse's mouth.  And I wasn't aware of the fact that closed accounts factor into credit mix.

How can we explain why so many people report a huge drop in scores when they pay off an installment?  Because it's the internet.  Because there are many factors which affect your score and often folks overlook other issues on their report.  Because when I get a ticket for speeding, I can think it's because I drive a red car, and overlook the fact that I was driving 45 in a 25 mph zone.

In answer to your last question, DH paid off his only installment and saw zero, nada, zilch score impact.

OP - good question and great answer from the ultimate source - FICO's own Barry.  Assuming, of course, that the article was quoting him correctly.  He knows his stuff.  Thanks for the info!

Message 11 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In addition to the 31 year old account that is still in my CR, I have three others with significantly older credit history than 10-years from date of account closing that still remain. 

FICO would not have a category of any meaing that reports the date of oldest account, and average date of account history, if there was a mandatory 10-year deletion requriement. 

Further, arbitrary deletion of accounts from a credit file after any date, such as ten years, would deprive a potential, future creditor from information in a consumer file that they are entitled to.  Sure, FCRA 605(a) places limits on how long a CRA can normally continue to include prior derogs in ones CR that have passed the various 7, 71/2, or ten year limittions of FCRA 605(a), but those restrictions are not absolute.  FCRA 605(b) grants a total exemption from the limitations of all reporting restriction of FCRA 605(a) in the event of consumer application for and creditor consideration of, any application for credit or insurance with a principal amount of $150,000 or more.  CRA restriction on issance of credit reporting is NOT the same as deletion from a credit file, and has exemptions.  If still in their files,they can theoretically report that information forever, when associated with a high principal transactiion of $150K 

There are no requirements of which I am aware that ever requries deletion of OC accounts from your credit file, or credit report.

Message 12 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

In addition to the 31 year old account that is still in my CR, I have three others with significantly older credit history than 10-years from date of account closing that still remain.  

Consider yourself a lucky man, Robert. That is certainly not the norm.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.