cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it best to pay 1 card off at a time or spread the pay all off evenly?

tag

Is it best to pay 1 card off at a time or spread the pay all off evenly?

I have about 5 credit cards right now with the following limits: wells fargo: 2,950/3,000 chase: 180/200 capital one: 670/750 bofa: 1,450/1,500 target: 950/1,000 I was wondering if my score would increase more by me paying off each card one by one, or should i split the money i pay up into even payments for the five cards each month? Thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it best to pay 1 card off at a time or spread the pay all off evenly?

It depends if you are going to be making a major purchase soon and need max points per $.

These are for the most part maxed out-

I recommend the paying the highest APR first.

Some people use a "Snowball" method paying the lowest balance first and then rolling that payment up to the next one. The idea behind this is purely psychological.

@AnalyticalMind84 wrote:
I have about 5 credit cards right now with the following limits: wells fargo: 2,950/3,000 chase: 180/200 capital one: 670/750 bofa: 1,450/1,500 target: 950/1,000 I was wondering if my score would increase more by me paying off each card one by one, or should i split the money i pay up into even payments for the five cards each month? Thanks

Message 2 of 5

I am planning on getting a new car soon, and right now the rate i qualify for is 10% on an auto loan according to score watch...it's a cheap car already but i want to get the best rate possible so i'm trying to raise my score the quickest based on how i pay the cards off
Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

AnalyticalMind84 wrote:
I am planning on getting a new car soon, and right now the rate i qualify for is 10% on an auto loan according to score watch...it's a cheap car already but i want to get the best rate possible so i'm trying to raise my score the quickest based on how i pay the cards off

Timothy's way is best for saving money but if scores are very important, pay off the cards evenly. The trick is to have the fewest cards reporting > 50% util, < 30% better, < 10% even better.
Message 4 of 5

well thanks for the answers...i think i'll probably go one at a time for the most part, paying 300 or so on a card with less than $1k CL actually looks like progress to me but if i had used it towards the $3k one, i think i'd feel less determined to keep tackling the debt. why oh why did wells fargo give me a $3k limit with 1yr credit history!!! lol. i did pay off Chase card today though and cut it up :-) i left like $5 on it. I'll probably use it for my monthly membership for my video game online so it can have some activity
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.