Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to have 0 balance reported or <10% balance reported each month

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it better to have 0 balance reported or <10% balance reported each month

I have the closing dates on my cards spaced out so I can alternate useage. There is no balance transfer fee on my Cap 1 cards so I use them to pay off the other cards and then pay those cards off before their due dates. I just let Barclays report right now because it's an Apple card with promotional 0% purchases from there.  This gives all of my cards use if I want to, gives a few cards bigger use each month and most get paid in full while leaving one reporting a balance. I keep everything planned out each month for use, closing dates and payments. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 11 of 14
A_Noob
Contributor

It was my Equifax score and it is 1 of 2 revolving accounts.

My Fico EQ: 749
My Fico TU: 754
My Fico EX: 753

Goal: 800
Message 12 of 14
noobafterbk
Contributor

Yes i paid off my credit card balance and score actually dropped 21points!! How can this system be valid when paying off your debt penalizes you???
Message 13 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@noobafterbk wrote:
Yes i paid off my credit card balance and score actually dropped 21points!! How can this system be valid when paying off your debt penalizes you???

Because statistical models of massive amounts of consumer data suggests that the incidence rate of default is higher with someone who has 0's accross the board for their revolving tradeline balances.

Why it is this way I don't know, other than the historical belief that 0 indicates non-use... which is not the case on all of the bureaus data sets today but it's possible FICO simply hasn't caught up with the data collection advances that the bureaus have made in the last half decade... maybe the new FICO 13 (or 14, whatever they wind up calling it) will take that newly (within the last 2 years) reported data into consideration and not penalize people for that.

        
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.