Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is mortgage co not reporting my payments hurting my FICO score

tag
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

Is mortgage co not reporting my payments hurting my FICO score

I have a mortgage with GMAC  They have not reported my on-time payments since 02/09. I have emailed them on this and they said they reported on 05/01/09. I just checked my reports and it still shows last report date of 02/09. Is this hurting my FICO score? and if so how?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is mortgage co not reporting my payments hurting my FICO score

Nah, I don't believe so. You don't get credit for on-time payments, per se. You get dinged for being late.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

Legally how long do they have to report payments?
Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd still investigate. I'd wonder if they are spelling your name right, and other demographic niceties, to make your payments show up on your reports.

My mortgage payments (from dear old Countrywide; now BofA) generally report one month late. So we pay on the first, and if I pulled my reports on, say, June 5, I might expect to see my April reports, and possibly my May reports, but most certainly, not my June reports. This is different from CC's which generally report what's going on as of that moment.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

Do you think this could hurt my FICO score?
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's possible. There's a lot of discussion about this, but there's a belief that TU and/or EX "wants" to see a mortgage on your reports.

If you're up in the nosebleed territory of those with 800+ scores, mortgages don't seem to be necessary.

My main concern would be that I would want to have my credit reports accurately showing what was what with my credit.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would not be too concerned with their monthly reporting, for as has been stated, it is delinquecies that hurt scoring.

What I would be primarily concerned with is that the account itself appears in your CR.  That affects your credit mix, and upon any later manual review, shows the existence of an established mortgage loan on your credit history.  I presume that it does report as an open mortgage loan?

Message 7 of 10
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

YES it is an open active mortgage being reported on time since 2005. Then the last report date is 02/09 
Message 8 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Robert on this one. As long as it's open, I don't think that it's having any effect on your score (that it hasn't reported in three months). Remember, there is no requirement that they report, only that if they are going to report that it be done accurately.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I recently went through a loan modification, and my lender froze all reporting for 6 months.  Until two weeks ago, the last reported payment was November 2008.  My scores were essentially unchanged during this entire period, allowing for fluctuations due to higher-than-normal credit card balances during the holiday season and the reawakening of a couple idle credit cards.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.